Kempsey Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855

Kempsey is a very large village and parish, situate about 4 miles S. of Worcester, and according to the last census contained a population of 1375 inhabitants.

The village, one of the most respectable and pleasant in this part of the county, is situate on the south bank of the river Severn; the scenery around is of the most varied and picturesque description, and the land very fertile. We may briefly mention that Henry II held a court here, and in 1265 we find that Simon de Montford (Earl of Leicester), with his prisoner Henry III, lay at the Bishop’s Palace (which at that period stood here), just before the battle of Evesham. Traces of a Roman encampment have been found here, also coins, urns, &c.

The Church, a plain, cruciform building, was almost entirely rebuilt in the year 1799, and consists of nave, chancel, and north and south transepts: the funds for the rebuilding of the church were raised by leasing the church lands, under the trustees, for ninety-nine years. In the chancel is a bust of Alderman Farley, of this city (1821). In an arched niche lies the armed figure of Edmund Wylde, a knight, who is protected at each of the four cardinal points by a monk, and on the monument are placed a veritable helmet and sword. In the north transept is a tablet, surmounted by a skull, in memory of one John Ward. In the churchyard is a monument to Major B. Kershaw, of the 13th Light Infantry, who fell at Jugdulluch, in Affghanistan, in the disastrous affair of January, 1842; he was at the storming of Ghuznee, and it is said that he once saved the life of General Sale. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Rev. George L. Foxton, M.A., Vicar; Mr. William Cox, Clerk; Mr. John Broadfield, Organist. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

The New Schools, opened in 1849, were erected by the munificence of James Capel, Esq., of London, who was a native of this parish; the site was the gift of Richard Temple, Esq., of the Nash. The style of the building is Gothic, and presents a pleasant appearance; it is situated about a quarter of a mile from the village, on the road to Worcester, and is supported by a small endowment and annual contributions, with the children’s payments. Mr. W. A. Williams, Master; Elizabeth King, Mistress. Average number of children on the books, from 90 to 100.

Charities – Mr. George Lloyd, late of Kempsey, gave the sum of £40, one half the interest to be given in bread to the poor of this parish, and the other half to the poor of Severn Stoke; to which sum Mr. Richard Spencer added £20, to purchase lands, the produce of which to be devoted to the same purpose. Elizabeth Nichols gave £5, the interest to be given in bread to the poor for ever. Mr. Christopher Meredith, in 1652, left, by will, £6, one half to purchase Bibles for the poor, and the other half useful books for the school. Mr. Giles, of Kempsey, gave £5, to be laid out in land for the benefit of the poor. Mr. John Winslow gave the sum of 40s., one moiety for the instructing poor children, and the other to purchase bread for thirty poor persons. There are also the following donations for the poor: – Sir Edward Wylde, 1620, gave £20, to remain in stock for ever. Christopher Bullock, 40s. Mr. Edward Hurdman, first Mayor of Worcester, 1635, gave £4. Thomas Knight, 1652, 50s. Richard Winslow, 40s. William Hall, 1664, £5. Richard Gorle, £4. John Gorle, £5. Thomas Knight, 1669, 40s. Thomas Martin, 20s. Edward Nicholas, 40s. Edward Wylde, Esq., £10. Nathaniel Tandy, 40s. Thos. Knight, and Alice, his sister, gave each 20s. Mary Hurdman, £4. Mr. Winslow, £5. Charles Geary, gent., gave, by will, 1788, the sum of £20, the interest to be given in bread and coals to ten poor women. Mrs. Elizabeth Eaton, 1789, gave the sum of £200, the interest to be given annually for the benefit of the poor. Edward Hurdman gave by will the sum of £100, the interest to be laid out in clothing, on St. Thomas’s day, for poor men who regularly attend divine service. Mr. William Giles, of this parish, gave £5, the interest to be given in bread to the poor.


Bell Major-General Edward W., Napleton Cottage

Blandy Mrs. Sarah, Draycot House

Browne Mr. George, Poplars

Butler Theobald, Esq., Cedar Villa

Gorle Captain John, Napleton House

Gorle The Misses

Grainger Mr. Samuel, Baynhall Cottage

Griffiths C. J., Esq., Gothic House

Grimshaw Mr. William, Oak Field

Hadley Mrs. Hannah, Mount Emerald

Henderson Lieut.-Gen. George Augustus

Herbert Mrs. Jane

Holland Thomas, Esq., The Elms

Hopkins Mr. Richard

Hudson Mr. Thomas, Rose Cottage

Nuttall Robert, Esq., Kempsey House

Palmer Rev. Ellis, Draycot House

Rudd Miss Mary E., Kempsey Lodge

Salisbury Henry Sandys, Esq., The Lawn

Smith Mrs.

Southhouse Miss Sophia

Temple Richard, Esq., The Nash

Thatcher Capt. William, Church Cottage

Turner J.S., Esq., Bank House

Turner Mr. Alexander, The Firs

Vaux Bowyer, Esq., Draycot Lodge

Wilkinson Miss

Wilson Captain Edward

Woodward Mrs., Parsonage

Amphlett Benjamin, butcher

Barber John, wheelwright

Barber Thomas, blacksmith

Bateman Ann, farmer, Stonehall

Betteridge Andrew, farmer

Betteridge William C., grocer and butcher

Bird Philip, cooper

Boulter Sabina, farmer, Kempsey Common

Brooks Thomas, farmer, Stonehall

Caswell Samuel, beer retailer, The Oak

Caswell John, victualler, Talbot

Chamberlain Humphrey, farmer, and brick and tile manufacturer, Clerkenleap

Clift Richard, tailor

Compton James, fruiterer and gardener

Compton Richard, beer retailer, Swan, Kerswell Green

Cotterell John, shopkeeper

Cox William, gardener, and Parish Clerk

Curtis William, coal merchant

Dalby William, farmer, Stonehall

Diaper Thomas, mason

Edwards John, farmer, Holdings

Firkins Joseph, glove manufacturer

Ganderton William G., Police Officer, Station

Godsall Susannah, farmer and cider retailer, Broomhall

Green Frederick and Caleb, farmers, Kerswell Green

Green William Tandy, farmer, Gower Cottage

Harding George, baker and mealman

Harlow John shopkeeper

Haynes Alfred, farmer, Napleton

Haynes Mary, market gardener

Haynes William, builder and carpenter, Yew Tree Cottage

Herbert William, farmer and land agent, Napleton Villa

Hobbs Margaret, blacksmith

Holland Thomas P., beer retailer

Holland John, farmer, Baynhall House; also of the Parsonage Farm

Holmes William, shoe maker

Jackman John, shoe maker, Kerswell Green

Jones Charles, farmer and dealer, Brook End

Jones Joseph, shopkeeper, baker, and farmer

Jones William, shoe maker

Loxley James, shoe maker

Morris James, shoe maker

Newman William, farmer, Kerswell Green

Nicholls James, farmer and dealer

Oakley Ann, beer retailer, Severn Trow

Osborne Benjamin, gardener, Draycot

Osborne Margaret, gardener, Draycot

Palmer Bate, farmer, Woodhall

Parry William, farmer, Brook End House

Price William, baker

Purser Charles, butcher

Saunders Benjamin, farmer, Bank Field

Seabright John, shoe maker, Kerswell Green

Sherwin Ishmael, shopkeeper

Smith John, shopkeeper

Smith William, beer retailer, Anchor

Stanton John, farmer, Stonehall

Stanton Joseph, builder and carpenter

Stanton Thomas, farmer and maltster, Elm cottage

Stephens William, coal dealer

Sutton James, beer retailer, Anchor

Thorn Edwin, tailor

Trenfield J., farmer, Kempsey Common

Wagstaff Henry, farmer, Napleton

Webb Samuel, victualler, The Crown

White Thomas, farmer, Brook End Farm

White William T., surgeon, Ivy House

White William Thomas, butcher

Wiltshire Ann, shopkeeper, Kerswell Green

Woodward Dorcas, ladies’ boarding establishment, Park Hall

Post Office – Mr. John Passey, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 5 30 a.m.; despatch, 5 30 p.m. Carriers – To Worcester, Lampill, from House, Draycot, Wed and Sat., 9 a.m.; and Thornett, from House, Draycot, Wed and Sat., 8 a.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.