Huddington (anciently Hadington and Hudinton) is a small parish and village, about 6 ½ miles N.E. of Worcester, and 5 S.E. of Droitwich; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; petty sessional division of Worcester; union and county court district of Droitwich; polling district of Broughton Hackett; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; annual rateable value, £1,233; area of parish, 941 acres; population in 1861, 87; in 1871, 81, with 21 inhabited houses. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot is lord of the manor and owner of most of the land, and Lord Edmund Talbot is also a landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil marl, and in some parts clay; chief crops, cereals of all kinds. Dean’s brook runs through the parish. Huddington is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; living, a vicarage, value £58; patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury; vicar, Rev. William Henry Woolrych, B.A., Pembroke College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1870, and resides at Crowle vicarage. The church is a small building in the Perpendicular style, with older work at the west end. Here is a post-Reformation rood-screen, also interesting monuments to the Winter family. The register dates from the year 1695. Huddington Court, the ancient moated residence of the Winters, is a fine old timbered structure with many curious features both outside and internally; and “Lady Winter’s walk,” an avenue of trees, has some legends connected with it. Sale Green is a hamlet half a mile N.W., consisting of one farm and a few cottages.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Droitwich, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church. – Rev. William Henry Woolrych, B.A., Vicar; Mr. George Gerrard, Churchwarden; Solomon Hewlett, Parish Clerk.
Gerrard Mrs., Huddington farm
Smith Mr. William, Sale Green farm
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Brewster J., farmer, Hill farm
Gerrard George, farmer, Huddington farm; res., Offerton, Hindlip
Hencher Charles, farm bailiff
Hewlett Solomon, parish clerk
Rogers Thomas, farmer, Saleway; res., Saleway farm, Himbleton
Sheppard Mary, shopkeeper, Sale green
Smith James, farmer, Sale Green farm
Smith John, farmer, Huddington court
White James, miller, Huddington mill
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.