Hanley Castle is an extensive parish and pleasant village on the west bank of the Severn, 1½ miles N.W. of Upton, 5 S.E. of Great Malvern, and 8½ S. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Pershore; union, petty sessional division, highway, and polling district of Upton-on-Severn; county court district of Malvern; annual rateable value, £18,611; area of parish, 5,681 acres; population in 1861, 1,733; in 1871, 2,167, with 417 inhabited houses, and 444 families or separate occupiers. The healthy situation of this parish is assigned as the cause of the increase of population. Sir Edmund Anthony Harley Lechmere, Bart., M.P., and John Vincent Hornyold, Esq., D.L., are the principal landowners; the latter is also lord of the manor. The soil is loam, clay, and gravel; subsoil, clay and marl; chief crops, wheat, barley, and beans. This parish took its name from a castle belonging to the Beauchamps in the Middle Ages; some traces of its moat may yet be seen near the house now occupied by Mr. Gee. It was the seat of the Le De Spencers, Earls of Gloucester and the Beauchamps, Earls of Warwick, lords of all Malvern chase. Richard Beauchamp, Duke of Warwick, King of the island of Wight, and last of that noble race, was born here in 1424. He died in 1445, and was buried in Tewkesbury abbey. The castle was granted to John Hornyold, Esq., of Standon and Blackmore, ancestor of the present owner, in the second year of Queen Elizabeth’s reign. Hanley is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Upton; living, a vicarage, value £680, with residence; patron, Sir Edmund A.H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P.; vicar, Rev. Edward Whitmore Isaac, M.A., Oriel College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1879. The church (St. Mary’s) is partly built of brick, has two chancels or chapels, the one being a mortuary for the Hornyolds, and the other for the Lechmeres; a central tower, and nave divided longitudinally into two aisles by obtuse arches, resting on circular and octagonal piers. There is a Norman doorway in the south wall. The nave dates from the 14th century, and the tower 1674. The church was restored in 1858, at a cost of about £2,000, by Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., and reopened on the occasion of his bringing home his bride. The east window is a memorial to the late Sir Edmund Hungerford Lechmere, Bart. There are many beautiful painted windows and other interesting objects in the church. St. Gabriel’s Chapel-of-Ease at Hanley green was erected at the cost of Samuel J. Heathcote-Martin, Esq., late of Liverpool, on a site given by Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P. The foundation-stone was laid by Miss Lechmere, February 20th, 1872, and the building was consecrated in April 1873. It is built of Cradley stone faced with Bath stone, in the Early English style of architecture after designs by the late Sir George Gilbert Scott, R.A. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch, and tower, surmounted by a handsome spire of Bath stone, containing a peal of six bells. The lower stage of the tower opens to the chancel and north aisle, and serves as vestry and organ chamber. The nave is separated from the aisles by arcades of plain chamfered arches, resting upon round and octagonal piers. The nave roof is of original design and admirable construction. The beautiful reredos was the gift of Sir Edmund Lechmere, Bart., M.P. The east window was filled with stained glass in 1878 by S. J. Heathcote-Martin, Esq. The figures represent “ Our Lord as the Good Shepherd,” with the “Four Evangelists,” beneath which are the “Holy Family at Bethlehem,” “Our Lord’s Baptism,” “The Crucifixion,” “The Resurrection,” and “The Ascension.” The church is lighted by four handsome brass coronas, three in the nave and one in the chancel. A fine-toned organ has been added through the voluntary subscriptions of the parishioners. The church contains 420 sittings, all of which are free. The porch is of open timber-work, and at the entrance to the churchyard is a picturesque lych-gate. A handsome chapel, adjoining the mansion of Rhydd court, has been erected by Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P. It was licensed by the Bishop for Divine service, October 2nd, 1865. The Roman Catholic chapel in Blackmore park was built at the expense of John Vincent Hornyold, Esq., D.L., and has schools in connection supported by him. There is also a private chapel, adjoining the mansion, erected in 1876. A monastery for Redemptorists was opened in 1846, which, with school and church, cost £20,000. It was opened by Dr. Wiseman, but the monastery has been discontinued. The Grammar school (foundation unknown) has been remodelled, and was reopened in 1868 according to a scheme of the Endowed Schools Commission, and great care has been taken by the feoffees that the course of instruction should be suited to the wants of the district. The school premises, which are near the church, have been lately extended by the addition of handsome and convenient new schools and dormitories. The present head master is the Rev. Henry Lister, 1st B.A. (London), Fellow of the College of Preceptors, and late head master of Merston House School, Seaforth, Liverpool, who receives about 30 boarders. The national schools are at Church end and Hanley green. There are a few charities belonging to the parish, also benefit societies, clubs, the allotment system, &c. The seats in this parish are particularly deserving notice both from their pleasant situation and their fertile and well-cultivated domains. Rhydd Court, the seat of Sir Edmund Anthony Harley Lechmere, Bart., M.P., D.L., commands very beautiful views of the Severn, and is surrounded by charming private grounds. The ancient residence of the Lechmere family, which came over with William the Conqueror, was at Severn End, a fine old mansion, with many memorials of the olden time of the greatest possible interest. Blackmore Park, the seat of John Vincent Hornyold, Esq., J.P., D.L., is a handsome mansion standing in a noble park midway between the Malvern hills and the river Severn. J. V. Hornyold, Esq., is the lineal descendant of John Hornyold, of Standon, in the county of Hertford, who received the grant of the manor of Hanley at the hands of Queen Elizabeth. Hanley Castle, now the property of Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., is occupied by Thomas Gee, Esq. Hanley Hall, the residence of Thomas William Davis, Esq., is on the site of the house of the forest-keeper, when this parish as part of the ancient “chase” of Malvern. Here was a sessions room for the trial of offences committed in the forest. In various parts of the house may be seen some fine specimens of old oak wainscoting. The notorious Bishop Bonner, whose persecutions in the reign of Mary have covered his name in shame, was born in this parish. Malvern Wells is chiefly in this parish, but the Directory will be found with the Malverns. Blackmore End is a hamlet 3 miles N.W. of Hanley church, and nearly 2 S.E. of Great Malvern; Robert’s End is about the centre of the parish; Gilbert’s End is half a mile W.; Hanley Quay is on the Severn, where there is a wharf. There is a ferry over the Severn at the Rhydd, 2 miles N. of Hanley.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Post and telegraph office, Stephen Wagstaff, Sub-Postmaster. Letters are received from Worcester (via Upton-on-Severn), the delivery commences at 7.30 a.m.; despatched at 5.5 p.m. on week-days and 12.25 p.m. on Sundays. Money-order and post-office savings bank business transacted from 9 a.m. till 4.50 p.m. The letter-box, Hanley green, is cleared at 4.35 p.m. on week-days and 11 50 a.m. on Sundays. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Mary’s). – Rev. Edward Whitmore Isaac, M.A., Vicar; Rev. Thomas William Wood, K.C.L., Curate; Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., and Mr. John Lane, Churchwardens; John Fleet, Parish Clerk. St. Gabriel’s Chapel-of-Ease. – (Clergy same as at the Parish Church) – Francis Knipe, Esq., Churchwarden; Mr. Thomas J. Bovington, Organist; Henry Lippett, Sexton.
Roman Catholic Chapel. – Rev. Priest.
Grammar School. – The Lord Bishop of Worcester, Visitor; The Earl Beauchamp, Sir E. A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P. (Chairman), Rev. F. Hopkinson, LL.D., The Hon. John S. Pakington, G. E. Martin, Esq., and Rev. H. W. Coventry, Feoffees; Rev. Henry Lister, B.A., F.C.P., Head Master.
Hanley Castle National (or Lower) School, Church end. – Mr. Edwin Weatherby, Master; Mrs. Weatherby, Mistress.
St. Gabriel’s School (boys and girls), Hanley green. – Mrs. R. M. Edgecombe, Mistress.
Roman Catholic School (boys and girls). – Mrs. M.A. Graty, Mistress.
Working-Men’s Institute, Quay. – Thomas Hill, Manager.
Malvern Wells Station (Midland Railway). – Alfred William Spriggs, Station Master.
Carriers to Worcester. – Frank Scrivens on Wednesdays and Saturdays, returning from the Plough Inn, Silver street, at 3.30 p.m.; John Kent on Wednesdays and Saturdays, returning from the Pheasant Inn, New street, at 3.30 p.m.
Assistant Overseer. – Mr. John Kings, Robert’s end.
Barber Mr. John, Rose villa, Gilbert’s end
Cole the Misses, Laurel cottage
Davis Thomas William, Esq., Hanley hall
Dee Mrs., Park cottage, Church end
Gee Thomas, Esq., Hanley castle
Hardinge Capt. T. S. Walmer cottage
Hastings Mrs., The Grange
Haynes Miss, Laurel cottage
Hornyold John Vincent, Esq., J.P., D.L., Blackmore park
Hornyold Thomas Charles Gandolfi, Esq., J.P., D.L., Blackmore park
Hunter Mrs. M. A., Catterall
Hurst Mr. John Baptist, Church end
Isaac Rev. Edward Whitmore, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Johnson Mrs., Severn end
Knipe F., Esq., Bourne villa, Robert’s end
Lechmere Sire Edmund Anthony Harley, Bart., M.P., J.P., D.L., Rhydd court; and at 13 Bolton row, Mayfair, London, W., and Charlton club, Pall Mall, S.W.
Lechmere The Misses, Church end
Lewis Mrs., Western villa
Lister Rev. Henry, B.A., F.C.P., Grammar school
Medley Alfred Kossuth, Esq., Yew-tree ho.
Phillips Mr. John, Quay lane
Spencer Mr. William, Burley house
Ward Richard, Esq., Mortimer lodge
West Miss, Gilbert’s end
Wheeler Mrs. and Miss, Gothic cottage
Willan Henry, Esq., J.P., Albion lodge
Wood Rev. Thomas William, K.C.L. (Curate of Hanley Castle, and domestic chaplain to Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P.), Priestfield
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Bailey James, Herefordshire House, The Wyche
Bailey John, tailor & draper, Hanley green
Barber George, shopkeeper, Blackmore end
Barber John, farmer, Gilbert’s end
Bennett William, farmer, North end
Betteridge James, farmer, The Balcony
Betteridge Joseph, farmer, Common farm (postal address – Malvern Wells, R.S.O.)
Bibbs John, sanitary inspector (under Upton rural authority), The Quay
Bladder William, cottage farmer
Blake Harry, steward and sub-agent to Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., The Cottage
Blain Charles, mkt. gardener, Quay
Brown Mrs. H., farmer, Church end
Brown Thomas, farmer
Burgess William, manufacturer of the “Challenge” pheasant and poultry food; patentee and inventor of the springless “Eclipse” alarm gun, all kinds of wire and other netting, &c., &c., Berry lodge. Postal address – Malvern Wells (see Malvern advts. Page 17)
Cole Edwin, farmer, Quakers’ farm
Davis Henry, wheelwright and spring trap builder, Cross hands
Davis Thomas Wm., farmer, Hanley hall
Dickson W., greengrocer, St. Gabriel’s ter.
Dymock A., lodging ho., The Hawthorns
Edgecombe Charles, nurseryman and gardener, Coney-croft
Edgecombe Mrs. R. M., mistress of St. Gabriel’s school, Hanley green
Edmunds J., boot and shoe ma., Quay lane
Edwards – , farm bailiff to J. V. Hornyold, Esq., D.L., Blackmore park
Fleet J., builder & parish clerk, Church end
Foster Frederick , farmer, Herbert’s farm
Foster John, farmer, Gilbert’s end
Ganderton George, wheelwright and carpenter, Robert’s end
Gilbert S. Francis, farmer, Brick barns
Graty Mrs. Mary Ann, mistress of Roman Catholic school
Graty Wm., hydraulic engineer, machinist, brassfounder, &c.; and at Edith walk, Gt. Malvern (see Malvern advts. P. 20)
Gregory Edwin, shopkeeper, Hanley green
Grundy Thomas, farmer, Blackmore end
Guilding John, farmer, Sink farm
Guilding Lansdowne, fmr., Merryvale farm
Hanley Castle Grammar School. – Rev. Henry Lister, B.A., F.C.P., Head Master
Hill Thomas, boot and shoe maker, and manager of the working-men’s institute, Quay lane
Hirons Wm., farmer, Parsonage farm
Hughes Mrs., farmer, North end
Jones Mrs. Caroline, beer retailer (Ewe and Lamb), Hanley green
Jones Henry, butcher, Hanley green
Jones Mrs. Henry, timer dlr., Hanley gr.
Kent John, carrier, Hanley green
King Rupert, plumber, &c., Hanley green
Kings John, grocer, provision dealer, and assistant overseer, St. Gabriel’s house
Knowles William, builder, &c.; and at Knightwick, near Worcester
Lane John, farmer, Old Hills farm
Lock George, farmer, The Common
Pittway John, wheelwright, Robert’s end
Pope Edmund, farmer, Forty green
Reynolds Thomas, blacksmith, church end
Reynolds William, carpenter and shopkeeper, Gilbert’s end
Robbins Robert, head gardener for sir Edmund Lechmere, Bart., M.P., Rhydd Court gardens
Sanders Benjamin, farmer, Holloway farm
Sanders Joseph, farmer, Horton manor
Scrivens Frank, carrier and cottage farmer, Gilbert’s end
Smith Francis Peters, farmer, Lodge farm
Smith Henry, head gamekeeper to Sir Edmund Lechmere, Bart., M.P.
Spriggs Alfred William, station master, Midland station, Malvern Wells
Stamford William, watch and clock mkr., 2 Catterall cottages
Stephens Joseph, road surveyor, and farmer, The Elms
Thomas R. W., farmer, Gilbert’s end
Tomkins H., Three Kings Inn, Church end
Tomlinson Benjamin John, Swan Inn, and farmer, Hanley green
Tomlinson John, farmer, Turner’s farm
Vivien Thomas, bricklayer, Meerbrook
Wagstaff Stephen, sub-postmaster, family grocer, provision dealer, corn flour, and meal factor, stationer, and agent for W. & A. Gilbey’s wines and spirits, Post and telegraph office
Walker James, farmer, Bower farm
Watkins Henry, blacksmith, Robert’s end
Watkins Mrs. J., blacksmith, Gilbert’s end
Weatherby Edwin, master of Hanley national school, Church end
Weaver Robert, miller, Burley
Webb James, builder, Meerbrook
West William, grocer, provision dealer, and baker, Hanley green
White Richard, coal merchant, hay and straw dealer, and farmer, Church end
White Thomas, farmer, Pool house
Wild John, farmer, Ivy house
Willis James, market gardener, Church end
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.