Hanbury Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879

Hanbury is a large agricultural parish, 2 miles S.E. of Stoke Works station, 5 S. of Bromsgrove, 4 E. of Droitwich, and 10½ N.E. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Halfshire, highway district of Redditch, union, county court district, petty sessional division, and parliamentary borough of Droitwich; annual rateable value, £11,354; area of parish, 7,533 acres; population in 1861, 1,044; in 1871, 1,094, with 218 inhabited houses, and 249 families or separate occupiers. Harry Foley Vernon, Esq., D.L., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay; chief crops, wheat, barley, and beans. Several Roman remains and coins have been discovered on Church hill. The Worcester and Birmingham canal, the Droitwich and Alcester road, and the Birmingham and Bristol branch of the Midland railway run through the parish. Statutes are held at the Vernon Arms Inn, on Lady-day and Michaelmas. Hanbury is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; living, a rectory, value £1,168, with handsome rectory-house, and 162 acres of glebe; patron, Harry Foley Vernon, Esq.; rector, Rev. Charles William Norman Ogilvy, M.A., Christ Church, Oxford, who was instituted in 1878. The church of St. Mary stands upon a wooded eminence, and commands a splendid view of the surrounding neighbourhood. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and tower, containing eight bells, and possesses Early English piers and arches, with some Decorated and Perpendicular portions. It was expensively restored in 1861, at the cost of H. F. Vernon, Esq., and the Hon. and Rev. Henry Douglas, M.A. (the former rector), when the chancel was rebuilt with the addition of north and south aisles. The south chancel aisle, called the “Vernon Chapel,” contains the monuments of the Vernon family; these are very elaborate and beautiful, including works of Chantrey and Roubiliac. The earliest register is dated 1577. At Woolmere green is a chapel-of-ease, erected in 1872, with accommodation for about 100 persons. There are two national schools; one near the parish church and the other at Broughton green; the latter was enlarged in 1872 and licensed for Divine service. A small endowment for a school now goes towards the expenses of the parochial schools. The Wesleyans and Baptists have places of worship here. A rifle corps, coal and clothing clubs, Sunday and night schools, parochial association for missions, lending library, &c., are supported in the parish, and a nursing institution for well-trained and experienced nurses has been established by Lady Georgina Vernon. There are numerous charities for the benefit of the poor, including £200 left in 1713, by Thomas Vernon, Esq., Middle Temple, to apprentice children of the parish, and £1,000 for the poor of Hanbury and Shrawley. Hanbury Hall, the seat of Harry Foley Vernon, Esq., J.P., D.L., and Lady Georgina Vernon, is a commodious mansion, situate in a finely-wooded park of 130 acres, from which the Malvern and Bredon hills are seen to advantage. The house was rebuilt in 1710 by Councillor Vernon; the hall and staircase were painted by Sir J. Thornhill, the subject chosen being the history of Achilles. H. F. Vernon, Esq., held the office of High-Sheriff of Worcestershire in 1873. Mere Hall, the seat of Edward Bearcroft, Esq., J.P., D.L., is one of the oldest timber-framed mansions in the county. The two large gables form a wing, and an octagon turret rises above the roof. A very fine avenue of elms leads to the house. Broughton Court is the residence of Miss Bearcroft, and The Mount that of Henry Bearcroft, Esq.

POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Benjamin Cooper, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Bromsgrove at 8.40 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5 p.m. on week-days, and at 9.50 a.m. on Sundays. Letters for Hanbury hall, Mere hall, Broughton, goose hill, Westfields, &c., are received through Droitwich. The nearest money-order and telegraph offices are at Feckenham, Bromsgrove, and Droitwich.

Parish Church (St. Mary’s). – Rev. Charles William Norman Ogilvy, M.A., Rector; Rev. F. W. Piercy, Curate; Messrs. Samuel Wilson and Thomas Jackson, Churchwardens; William Moore, Parish Clerk and Sexton; George M. Greenhill, Organist.

Chapel-of-Ease, Woolmere green.

National School (boys and girls), Hanbury village. – Mr. George Marshall Greenhill, Master; Mrs. Baylis, Sewing Mistress.

National School, Broughton green. – Mr. Richard Lord, master.

Droitwich Road Goods Station (Midland Railway). – Mr. William Pittaway, Station Master and Goods Agent.

Assistant Overseer. – Mr. James Stanton Cole.

Carrier to Worcester and Bromsgrove. – William Moore, to Plough Inn, Silver street, Worcester, on Wednesdays and Saturdays; to the George Inn, Worcester street, Bromsgrove, on Tuesdays.


Marked thus * receive their letters through Bromsgrove; thus + through Droitwich; thus || through Redditch.

Bearcroft Edward, Esq., D.L., Mere hall
Bearcroft Henry, Esq., The Mount

Bearcroft Miss, Broughton court

Cartwright Miss, White house

Handy Mr. George, Woolmere green

Ogilvy Rev. Charles William Norman, M.A., (rector), The Rectory

Piercy Rev. F. W. (curate)

Vernon Lady Georgina, Hanbury hall

Vernon Harry Foley, Esq., J.P., D.L. (colonel of second battalion of Worcestershire rifle volunteers), Hanbury hall


Allen William Ashwin, farm bailiff to Edward Bearcroft, Esq., D.L., Little Lodge farm

Aubrey George, frmr., Upper Goose hill

Ballinger Arthur, dairyman, Fish pools

Barber Thomas, cowkeeper, Park hill

Barley Armell, butcher

Bate George, blacksmith, &c., Old Bell

Bate Thos., blacksmith, Woolmere green

Baylis Alfred Edward and George, farmers, Hownings farm

Baylis Charles, boot and she maker, Dodderhill common

Baylis John, Vernon Arms inn

Baylis Stephen, foreman carpenter on the Hanbury estate, Becks

Beardsmore Thos., bricklayer, Broughton

Best William, woodman, Broughton

Bickley J., coal dlr., &c., Hanbury wharf

Burrow Mrs., farmer, Webb house

Caswell Thos., farmer, Ditchford bank

Clarke Samuel, Railway Tavern, and shopkeeper, Hanbury wharf

Cole Mrs. Emma, grocer, draper, &c.

Cole Jas. Stanton, assistant overseer, &c.

Cooper Benjn., painter & sub-postmstr.

Cope Mrs. Maria, shopkeeper and beer retailer (New Inn)

Corbett Messrs., farmers, Hollow fields

Cowley Thomas, farmer, Goose Hill grn.

Cross James, farmer, Goose Hill green

Drew Alfred, boot & shoe ma., Woodrow

Ford Charles, farmer, Hill farm

Ford Geo., farmer, Temple Broughton

Gardner Henry, gamekeeper for Edwd. Bearcroft, Esq., D.L., Goose Hill grn.

Gibbs John, farmer, Hollow fields

Gore George P., blacksmith, Mere grn.

Green Wm., farmer, Pump House farm

Greenhill George Marshall, master of national school and organist, Village

Guise William, beer retailer, Broughton

Haden John, farmer, Wall House farm

Harber John, tailor, Pump House lane

Jackson Thomas, farmer, Hollow fields

Jones William, bricklayer

Ladbury Frederick George, bricklayer

Lord Richard, schoolmaster, Broughton

Martin Fredk., head gamekeeper for H. F. Vernon, Esq., D.L., of Hanbury hall

Martin John, brewer, maltster, and farmer, The Valley

Mence Robert, farmer, Astwood

Moore Wm., parish clk., tailor, & carrier

Newman Mrs. Ann, farmer, Goose hill

Newman William, farmer, Skirgins

Oliver Geo., head gardener to H. F. Vernon, Esq., D.L., Hanbury Hall gards.

Penrice George, farmer, Walmer farm

Penrice Wm., Joseph, farmer, Park fm.

Phillips Mrs. Mary, laundress

Pinfield Elijah, fairy farmer, Old House cottage, Dodderhill common

Pittaway W., goods agent, Droitwich rd.

Preece Richard, wheelwright, Woodrow

Price Mrs. M., dairy farmer, The Elms

Seager James, farmer, park hall

Small William, farmer, Earl’s common

Smith William, boot and shoe maker

Steele Abel, grocer, &c., Dodderhill com.

Taylor Joseph, farmer, Foster’s green

Taylor Richard, dairy farmer, Woodrow

Taylor James, police constable, Police sta.

Terrett Geo. Patrick, frmr., The Forest

Tombs George, farmer, Hollow fields

Toovey Charles, carpenter and builder, Square and Compass Inn, Woodrow

Turner Alfred, cowkeeper, Old Bell

Weaver Daniel, farmer, Old house

Weaver John, butcher, &c., The Valley

Weaver Thomas, brick manufacturer & builder; and at Stoke Prior

Wells John, farmer, Goose Hill green

Weston Mrs. Mary, shopkeeper

White Reuben, carpenter, Woodrow

Whitehouse Geo., farmer, Ward’s farm

Willis John, farm steward to H. F. Vernon, Esq., D.L., Beck’s farm

Wilson John, farmer, The Woodrow

Wilson Samuel, farmer, &c., Mere green

Wilson Wm., farmer, Lower Westfield

Wyatt Thos., farmer, Upper Westfield

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.