Hanbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish Church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1577
At Woolmere green is a chapel-of-ease, erected in 1872
Nonconformists in Hanbury include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
A rifle corps, coal and clothing clubs, Sunday and night schools, parochial association for missions, lending library, &c., were supported in the parish, and a nursing institution for well-trained and experienced nurses was been established by Lady Georgina Vernon.
National School (boys and girls), Hanbury village.
National School, Broughton green.
Parishes adjacent to Hanbury
- Stock and Bradley
- Grafton Flyford
- Stoke Prior
Historical Descriptions of Hanbury
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Hanbury, a village and a parish in Droitwich Registration District, Worcester. The village stands near the Worcester and Birmingham canal and the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 2 miles SSE of Stoke Prior r. station, and 3¼ ENE of Droitwich; and has a post-office under Bromsgrove. The parish comprises 7,533 acres; and is partly included in Droitwich borough. Real property, £10,501. Pop., 1,044. Houses, 224. The property is divided among five. Hanbury Hall is the seat of H. F. Vernon, Esq.; and Mere Hall is the seat of E. Bearcroft, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £1,188. Patron, H. F. Vernon, Esq. The church stands on an eminence, commanding a fine view; is an ancient edifice, with a tower; was repaired in 1860, and enlarged in 1861; and contains monuments of the Vernons. Roman coins and other relics were recently found near the church. There are a Wesleyan chapel, two national schools, and charities £181.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Hanbury – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 mile E. from Droitwich, and 120 from London; containing 161 inhabited houses. The church stands on a high hill, and contains several handsome monuments belonging to the Vernon family, the present owners of the estate. The living is a rectory, not under the jurisdiction of the Archdeacon; Rev. William Vernon, incumbent; instituted 1820; patron, T. S. Vernon, Esq. Population, 1801, 983 – 1811, 1018 – 1821, 1042.
Hanbury-Hall, in the above parish, the residence of John Phillips, Esq. The mansion consists of a centre and two wings, with an immense number of windows: it was built about a century back, and is completely in the style of that period.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814
Hanbury Hall, now the residence of John Philips, Esq. is a very spacious mansion, erected by Mr. Vernon, a barrister, and representative of one branch of that ancient family about the year 1710. It is completely in the style of that period, consisting of a centre and two wings; and as the window tax was then unknown, it contains an immense number of windows and doors, owing to the number and smallness of the various apartments. According to the style then in vogue, it has numerous closets; arched cellars; large and extensive stables; but unfortunately the offices are in full view of the house. Like the houses of that age, the hall and staircase are painted with allegories, mythology, &c. and by an artist no less famous than Sir Godfrey Kneller, of whose politics, as well as those of the master of the house, we may judge by his having introduced Sacheverell carried away by furies. There are several pictures; and there was a famous one of Charles XII of Sweden, drawn from the life, for Bishop Robinson. The house, indeed, contains everything to make it comfortable, though old fashioned, for a private gentleman; and is surrounded by a well wooded park of 130 acres, in which there are many breaks leading to pleasing prospects.
The parish is but small, and has a small church, which stands on a hill a little to the eastward of the hall, from which there is a prospect well worth viewing. The church itself is a conspicuous object, standing on such an eminence that it is necessary to ascend 180 steps from the parsonage-house. In it there is a handsome monument of Counsellor Vernon, the builder of the hall, whose heiress, in 1780, married into the noble family of Exeter. He is represented reclining, in his robes, with Justice and Law an each side. There is another elegant pyramidal one to Bowater Vernon, Esq.: the figure is fine, and in the altitude of study; but by a strange incongruity, the upper half is partly in Roman costume, whilst the lower is in breeches and slippers. The monument to the memory of Thomas Vernon, Esq. who died in 1771, has an elegant figure leaning on the urn; the expression is fine, and all the attitude easy, except the right arm, which is drawn rather too for forward.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Universal British Directory 1791
Hanbury, ten miles from Worcester, on the Alcester road, has a large handsome seat called Hanbury-hall, the property of the Earl of Exeter, surrounded by a large park. The church is situated on hill, from whence there are very pleasant prospects, and is itself an object to the country round; a new tower has lately been built, and the whole new beautified and repaired. There are several elegant marble monuments to the family of the Vernons worthy of notice.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791.
Family History Links for Hanbury
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Rector of Hanbury
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Droitwich
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury
- Highway District: Redditch
- County Court District: Droitwich
- Petty Sessional Division: Droitwich
- Parliamentary Borough: Droitwich