Hanbury is an extensive and widely-scattered parish and village, situated about 3 miles from Droitwich in an easterly direction, containing in 1851 a population of 1009 inhabitants.
Hanbury Hall was erected about the year 1710, by Councillor Vernon, and is at the present time undergoing very extensive alterations and repairs. It is situated in a well-wooded park, from which the spires of Worcester, and the Bredon and Malvern Hills, are seen to advantage.
The Church is situated on an eminence at the extreme north point of the parish, and consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, with western square tower, having embattlements and pinnacles. In the west end of the south aisle is a semicircular-headed window, with a pointed arch, denoting the transition from the late Norman to the early English style of architecture. The north side aisle is of a more recent date than the nave, and the south aisle has the appearance of being the most ancient part of the building. The chancel contains some very elegant marble monuments to the Vernon family. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of T. B. Vernon, Esq. Rev. William Vernon, M.A., Vicar; Miss Smith, Organist; Mr. Henry Grasier, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The charity School – On the table of charities in the church it is stated that the Rev. Richard Vernon, some time Rector here, erected a school-house, and endowed the same with 20s. annually for ever, charged on certain real estates belonging to him, in the county of Worcester; he died in 1627. Thomas Vernon, Esq., of Hanbury, by will dated January 17th, 1711, gave a tenement near the church, with the close and orchard adjoining, the rents to be applied to the maintenance of a schoolmaster. The school property so derived, as well as other charities of the parish, were for many years vested in feoffees or trustees, of whom Edward Bearcroft, Esq., counsellor-at-law, was the last surviving. The house given by Thomas Vernon became very dilapidated and was blown down, in consequence of which there has been no school for many years. Application has been made to the Court of Chancery for the appointment of new trustees, which has been granted, and they have since been appointed, and arrangements are in progress for the erection of a new and commodious school, with a grant for the exchange of site to a much more eligible and central part of the parish, with every probability of its immediate commencement (1855). The building is intended to be in the Gothic and Elizabethan styles of architecture. The funds in hand arising from the charity amount to £215, to which the following handsome donations of the clergy and gentry have been added – Thomas Bowater Vernon, Esq., Hanbury Hall, £300; Edward Bearcroft, Esq., Meer Hall, £150; George C. Vernon, Esq., The Mount, £25; Rev. William Vernon, Rector, £20; with other handsome donations of the parishioners. Mr. John Creswell, Secretary and Treasurer to the trustees for the erection of the school.
Charities – Rev. Richard Vernon, a former Rector, erected the school-house, and left 20s. annually for ever; he died in 1627 – John Derby, gentleman, gave £3 annually to the school forever – Sir John Hanbury, Knight, gave £6 10s. for ever, to be given in bread to the poor – Henry Collier gave certain lands in Bradley, the rents arising therefrom to be given to the poor for ever. – Mrs. Ann Dysan left the rents of some fields in Hallow Field, to be given to the poor. – John Stiverton gave certain lands in Hanbury, out of which £4 10s. to be laid out in clothing annually for the poor. – Madam Mary Bearcroft, 1714, left 44 s. annually for the education of poor children of Hanbury – Thomas Vernon, Esq., Middle Temple, by will, left £200, to apprentice poor children; also a house and close for the schoolmaster for the time being, and £1,000 for the use of the poor of Shrawley and Hanbury.
Bearcroft Miss Frances E., Broughton Court
Bearcroft Edward, Esq., Meer hall
Vernon George Croft, Esq., The Mount
Vernon Thomas Bowater, Esq., Hanbury Hall
Vernon Rev. William, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Appleby Hugh, farmer, The Bank
Aubrey Robert, farmer, Upper Goose Hill
Banks George, farmer, Plump House
Bates Charles, blacksmith
Bates George, blacksmith
Baylis Edward, farmer, Hownings
Baylis Stephen, carpenter, Beck
Beck Embrey, shoe maker
Bourne Mary, victualler, Railway Tavern
Cole George, farmer
Cole James A., shopkeeper and carpenter
Cope John, beer retailer and cooper, Carpenter’s Arms
Cottrill Henry, farmer, Temple Broughton
Creswell John, farmer, brick and tile manufacturer, and High Constable of the Hundred of Upper Halfshire, The Forest; also of Stock Green Farms
Dandy William, shoe maker
Drew Thomas, shoe maker
Evans Joseph, tailor
Ford Charles, farmer, Hill Farm
Ford George, farmer, Hallow Fields
Ford John, farmer, Park Hall
Gilbert Richard, farmer, Stone House
Gilbert William, miller, Stone House
Gore John P., blacksmith
Green William, farmer, Wall House
Haden John, farmer, Wall House
Handy George, farmer, Rectory Farm
Haywood James, farmer, Woodrow
Herbert Thomas Jones, farmer, Hallow Farm
Holyoake Edward, maltster, The Valley
Hunt William, farmer, Hallow Fields
Jennings William, park and game keeper to Thomas B. Vernon, Esq.
Mence Robert, farmer, Astwood
Newman Ann, farmer, Lower Goose Hill
Parry Charles, farmer, Walmer
Partridge John, farmer, Skirgins, and Monk Wood Farms
Philpott James, blacksmith
Pike William, farmer, Little Lodge
Preece James, wheelwright
Reeves Henry, farmer, Hallow Fields
Richards Ann, victualler, Vernon Arms
Saunders Sarah, farmer, Feckenham Lodge
Simpson David, shopkeeper
Smitheringale John, farmer, Hallow Fields
Stanley John, shoe maker
Turner James, beer retailer and shopkeeper
Weaver Daniel, farmer, Old House, and Beck
Wilson John, farmer, Westfield; also of Rouse Lench
Wilson Samuel, farmer, Meer Green
Wyatt Edward, farmer, Ditchford Bank
Wyatt Joseph, farmer, Upper Westfield.
Post Office – J. S. Cole, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 5 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855