Guarlford Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879


Guarlford, formerly a chapelry to Great Malvern, is an ecclesiastical parish formed out of the parishes of Madresfield and Great Malvern in 1866. It is situated below Barnard’s green and between Powick and Hanley Castle, 2 miles E. of Malvern and 6 S. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county, Lower Pershore hundred, Upton union and highway district, Malvern Link polling district, and Great Malvern petty sessional division. The area is 2,170 acres; population in 1871, 684; inhabited houses, 120. The present population (1879) is estimated at 480. The Right Hon. Earl Beauchamp and Lady Emily Foley are the principal landowners. The living is a rectory in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester, and rural deanery of Powick; value £337, with residence and 2 acres of glebe; patron, the Earl of Beauchamp, who munificently endowed the living with the great tithes of Malvern; rector, the Rev. John Bateman Wathen, M.A., Queen’s college, Oxford, who was instituted in 1857. The church of St. Mary was erected in 1844, at a cost of about £2,000, defrayed partly by subscription and partly by grants from various societies. An organ chamber was added to the south side of the nave in 1877 at the sole expense of Earl Beauchamp, and an organ (by Nicholson of Worcester) has been erected at a cost of £180, which sum was raised by subscription. The church has also been entirely renovated inside, and two brass standards of five lights each placed in the chancel, and duplex lamps provided. The registers begin with the year 1844. There is a national school under Government inspection; average attendance (boys, girls, and infants) about 100.

POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Great Malvern. The wall letter-box at the churchyard is cleared at 5 p.m. on weekdays only. Malvern is the money-order and telegraph office and post town.

St. Mary’s Church. – Rev. John Bateman Wathen, M.A., Rector; Mr. John Bullock, sen., and Mr. Thomas Need, Churchwardens; Mr. J. Bateman, Organist; Samuel Evans, Clerk and Sexton.

National School (boys, girls, and infants). – Miss E. B. James, Mistress.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Allen Rev. Charles, The Rhydd

Bullock Mr. John, sen., Cherry orchard

Lloyd Rev. Robert, M.A., Dripshill

Wathen Rev. John Bateman, M.A. (rector), The Rectory

Wood Rev. Thomas, M.A., Priestfield

AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.

Bladder Mr., farmer, Rhydd Green farm

Bullock John, jun., farmer and hop grower, Guarlford court

Burston Robert, machinist, Barnard’s gn.

Byewater J., blacksmith, Heriots

Cobley Mrs., farmer, Clevelode

Doorbar Henry, farmer, Portocksend

Evans Samuel, clerk and sexton

Jackson Captain Eustace Octavius, farmer, White house

Johnson Henry, farmer, White Acres farm

Lane George & Edwin, fmrs., Woodbridge

Meek Mrs. Mary, farmer, Grove house

Mosely William, hay & coal dealer & beer retlr. (Plough & Harrow), Rhydd green

Munn George, farmer, New house

Need Thomas, farmer, New house

Oliver William, rate collector

Reynolds John, blacksmith, Barnard’s gn.

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.