Great Hampton (with the Hamlet of Little Hampton) Billings Directory 1855



Hampton, or Great Hampton, is a small village and parish about a mile S.W. from Evesham, on the road to Worcester. It contained in 1851 a population of 556 inhabitants, of whom 124 persons were in the Union, which belongs to the Evesham district.

On an eminence at a short distance from the village, called “Vineyard’s Hill”, an excellent view of Evesham, and the windings of the river Avon, may be obtained. When the Evesham abbey was in its prosperity, this neighbourhood was noted for its vineyards. There is a ferry here across the river Avon.

Little Hampton is a hamlet in the above parish. The population has been included in that of Hampton.

The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is situated upon an eminence near the road-side. It is a stone building, in the style of the fourteenth century, with a square turreted tower of a later date, containing a peal of four bells, and standing upon elegant pointed arches, at the junction of the nave and chancel. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford. At the time our information was taken there was no appointed minister. Mr. Geo. Lovesey, Clerk. Service – 10 30 a.m. and 3 p.m.

There is a Small National School adjoining the church. Emily Bellamy, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 30. The Charities amount to rather more than £100, and are dispensed according to the trust deeds.

DIRECTORY

Lewis Mr. Richard

Lunn Mr. John

Lunn Mr. Stephen

Stokes Mr. John Allen, Hampton Lodge

Workman Benjamin, Esq., County Magistrate, Hampton House

Workman Henry, Esq., Mayor of Evesham

Dovey Thomas, victualler, Navigation, Little Hampton

Gould William, shopkeeper

Izod Nathaniel, land surveyor

Mansell John, farmer, Little Hampton

Meadows George, blacksmith

Panting Mrs. M., farmer

Roberts John, wheelwright

Sansom Mrs., farmer

Savage Thomas, farmer, Little Hampton

White Charles, farmer

Post Office – Mr. George Hemming, Sub-Postmaster. Despatch, 5 15 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.