Elmley Lovett is situate about 3 miles E.S.E. from Stourport, 5 N.W. from Droitwich, 5 S.E. from Bromsgrove, and 6 S.W. from Kidderminster, comprising 2381 stature acres, and a population in 1851 of 395 inhabitants, being an increase of only six persons in ten years.
The historical associations in connection with the parish of Elmley Lovett are but few. We may mention, however, that the rectory, with a pension of £240 per annum, was given to Philip Hawford, or Ballard de Hawford, the last Abbot of Evesham, as compensation for having resigned that abbey, and all its possessions, into the hands of the King, having been created Abbot for the purpose. Near the church is a large ancient building, known as Elmley Lodge, its front consisting of several gables, on one of which is the motto, “Nisi Dominus, 1635,” from which it is supposed that at a remote period the lodge was encircled with rude wooden characters containing the whole of the 127th Psalm. About the beginning of the last century, the sentence was continued on several of the former windows.
The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, consists of nave, chancel, and western embattled tower, with spire. The tower contains six bells. The church, which is large and plain, was rebuilt, except the tower and spire, in the year 1830, at the expense of about £1,600. It has long lancet windows, and embattled parapet, the roof being open, but the edifice is entirely void of any interesting feature. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. Rev. Henry Perceval, M.A., Rector; Mr. Benjamin Richards, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small Free School, which is endowed for the education of the poor of the parish. By a Government extract of 1787, we find estates in this and adjoining parishes were left for the support of the Free School, repair of the church, and for the relief of the poor, amounting to £39, and the interest of £60. Mr. Benjamin Richards, Master. Average number of scholars, 25.
Charities – In addition to the before-mentioned, Mrs. Ann Best gave £5; Mr. Edmund Royall, £10; Mr. John Best, £10; Mr. John Aaron, £20; and Mr. Brand 10s. annually, for the benefit of the poor of the parish.
Forester Rev. Robert Townshend, B.A., Elmley Lodge
Perceval Rev. H., M.A., Rector, Rectory
Williams Mr. Thomas, Woodside Cottage
Allport James, farmer, Jingles
Aspey Henry, mason
Banner Joseph, wheelwright and carpenter
Clarke George, wheelwright
Cross Joseph Prince, bailiff to the Rev. R. T. Forester, Walton
Davenport James, farmer, The Valley
Harris Edward, butcher
Hawkes Thomas, farmer, The New House
Henney George, victualler, Chequers
Higley Edwin, blacksmith
Hyde John, shoe maker and shopkeeper
Jones Thomas, blacksmith
Moule Francis, farmer, Sned’s Green
Moule William, farmer, Ryelands
Redgate Samuel, farmer, Bellington
Richards Benjamin, schoolmaster and Parish Clerk
Richards George, carpenter
Roberts Amos, farmer
Rutter Daniel, farmer, Bassage
Twigg John, carpenter
Wells George, farmer, Tinker’s Farm
White Thomas, farmer, The Green
Winnall George, farmer, Upper Hyde; also of the Lower Hyde, Upton, and the Stone House
Winnall Thomas, farmer, The Moat
Winnall William, farmer, The Lake; also of the Blind Field
Wright Benjamin, wheelwright and carpenter
Yeates Joseph, shoe maker
Post Office – Mary Baylis, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 1030 a.m.; despatch, 10 30 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855