Eastham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Orleton and Hanley Child are chapelries of Eastham.
The ecclesiastical parish of Eastham consisted of the parish or Eastham, and the chapelries of Hanley Child and Orleton until 1560; in that year the ecclesiastical parish of Hanley William was united with the Parish of Eastham.
Other places in the parish include: Hanley William, and Upper Hanley.
Parish registers begin: 1571
Parishes adjacent to Eastham
- Stanford on Teme
- Upper Sapey
- Kyre Wyard
- Hanley Child
Historical Descriptions of Eastham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Eastham, a parish in Tenbury district, Worcester; on the river Teme, adjacent to the boundary with Salop, and to the Tenbury and Bewdley railway, 4 miles E by N of Tenbury. It includes the chapelries of Orleton and Hanley-Child; and its post-town is Rochford, under Tenbury. Acres, 3,846. Real property, £6,905. Pop., 645. Houses, 135. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Hanley-William and the p. curacies of Orleton and Hanley-Child, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £920. Patron, the Rev. H. Browne. The church has some Norman features, and is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Eastham, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Tenbury, county of Worcester; 4 miles east of Tenbury, on the southern bank of the Teme, comprising the chapelries of Orleton and Child-Hanley. Living, a rectory with the curacies of Hanley-William, Hanley-Child, and Orleton, in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £28 15s. 10d.; gross income £920. Here is a day and boarding-school. Acres 4,660. Houses 127. A. P. £4,824. Pop., in 1801, 632; in 1831, 671. Poor rates, in 1838, £196 13s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Eastham (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Tenbury, upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 ¼ miles (E.) from Tenbury; containing, with the chapelries of Child-Hanley and Orleton, 599 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Teme, and intersected by the road from Droitwich to Tenbury, and consists of 3681 acres, of which 2220 are in the township. The living is a rectory, with that of Hanley William annexed, valued in the king’s books at £28. 15. 10.; net income, £920; patron and incumbent, Rev. Charles Turner. The church contains 40 free sittings. There are chapels of ease at Child-Hanley and Orleton.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Eastham – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 4 ½ miles E. from Tenbury, and 129 from London; containing 65 inhabited houses. The church is a Gothic edifice but the foundation is evidently Saxon, as appears from the highly ornamented arch over the principal entrance. The living is a curacy, with the chapelries of Hanley-Child and Orleton, and the rectory of Hanley-William annexed; incumbent, the Rev. Edward Whitehead, who has a charming residence about half a mile from the church. Population, 1801, 385 – 1811, 380 – 1821, 347.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814
Eastham is a small village, containing the seat of the reverend Christopher Whitehurst, and is a most charming situation, from the great extent of wooded scenery around it. The bridge which leads off from the post road, over a very rapid part of the Teme, has a most pleasing effect, contrasted with the dark foliage of the deep embowering woods which hangover it. The house is plain and neat, and the grounds partake of the nature of the surrounding scenery. The church here is Gothic; but is evidently raised upon the remains of a Saxon one, for arches of that order, with ornamental mouldings of the same, maybe seen at the union of the body of the edifice with the chancel; over the principal entrance also, which is a Saxon arch, are mouldings of raised work; and over all a row of intersecting Saxon arches in the wall, supported by short columns, highly ornamented.
Hanley on the Hill, a modern villa of Col. Newport, seated on a conspicuous eminence, and commanding very extensive prospects over the vale of the Teme, and Wyre forest, is also in this parish.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Birth, Marriage, & Death Records – FamilySearch
Marriages at Eastham with Hanley William, Hanley Child and Orleton 1571 to 1812
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.
Eastham Worcestershire Parish Registers (with Hanley Child and Orleton) and Hanley William 1572 to 1812
The registers of Eastham (with Hanley Child and Orleton) and Hanley William, in the Deanery of Burford, 1572 to 1812
Transcribed by E. E. Lea; the introduction compiled by E. E. Lea
Privately printed for the Worcestershire Parish Register Society in [Worcester, England]. Published 1915
England and Wales Census Records – FamilySearch
Migration Records – FamilySearch
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tenbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Burford
- Poor Law Union: Tenbury
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury