Defford is a small village and Chapelry of St. Andrew’s, Pershore, from which it is distant about 3 miles. The Bristol and Birmingham Railway has a station here. The population in 1851 was 461 inhabitants. The Chapel is a small, antique-looking edifice, with square tower, and three bells. It is dedicated to St. James. Rev. Thomas Whitaker, Curate; Mr. Samuel Undy, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately with Besford.
Bowen Mr. Thomas
Stratton Mr. R. M.
Bright Mary, wheelwright and shopkeeper
Clarke Henry, licensed to let horses
Collins Joseph, beer retailer, shoe maker, and market gardener
Farley Charles, beer retailer, Railway Inn
Genders James, Station Master
Hemus Thomas, farmer, Bourne Farm
Hill Elizabeth, Sub-Postmistress and shopkeeper
Hitchings George, shopkeeper
Hitchings William, butcher and beer retailer
Hunt Thomas, blacksmith
Packwood William, wheelwright
Rammell Benjamin, blacksmith
Read John and James, farmers, Defford Farm
Roper John, blacksmith
Rudge Joseph, shoe maker
Taylor Henry, farmer
Woodward Henry, farmer
Workman Samuel, victualler, Crown
Willis John, farmer
Post Office – Elizabeth Hill, Sub-Postmistress. Delivery, 9 a.m.; despatch, 4 15 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855