Crowle Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855

Crowle is a village and parish situate about 5 miles E.N.E. from Worcester, with an area of 1640 acres, and a population of 580 inhabitants.

The chief object of interest to the antiquarian in this locality is Crowle Court, formerly the residence of William More, a Prior of Worcester, who retired here after having resigned office, about the year 1536. It is a curious specimen of the ancient moated baronial residences. This mansion is supposed to have been erected about the middle of the twelfth century, the oldest portion being of the Gothic style, long prior to the Reformation, but the greater part was rebuilt for the accommodation of the Prior. There are the remains of a noble dining hall, with carved corbel heads supporting the roof.

The Church is a very ancient pile, in cruciform shape, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south transepts, and western tower, of three stages, with embattlements, and diagonal buttresses. The chancel and transepts are in the Norman style. There is a lectern, and ancient relic very rarely to be met with. It is of marble, with decorated foliage, having two animals’ heads reversed on the sides, and on the front the figure of a divine kneeling, with the hands thrown back over the shoulder. This singular and ancient specimen of art was restored, after having lain in the churchyard many years. It is supported by five marble circular pillars, of modern date, as appears form the original capitals on which it stands. The font is also an ancient specimen, of octagonal shape, having the cross foliated on each face, and canopy-work on the shafts. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of the present Vicar, the Rev. Henry Armel Greene, LL.B. At present there is no appointed Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.

The Parochial School, for the education of children of the parish, is supported principally by the Rev. H. A. Greene, Vicar, and Lieutenant-Colonel Clowes. Ann Gilding, Mistress. Average number of children, 40. There is also a Sunday School attached. Charities – Mrs. Elizabeth Attwood, of Claines, gave in 1720 the interest of £20, to poor widows or old maidens of Crowle, to be distributed annually on St. John the Evangelist’s day. Giles Trimnell, late of Tibberton, gave £5 to the poor, the interest to be distributed on St. Thomas’s day: the interest having fallen from six to five per cent, Anne, his last wife, added twenty shillings more to keep the interest the same. There is also a gift of nineteen acres of land and tenements in the parish, the interest to be applied to the repairs of the church and the parish roads.


Clowes Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas, Froxmere Court

Crane Rev. Edwin, B.A., Rector of Kington and Perpetual Curate of Huddington, Oak House

Greene Rev. Henry Armel, LL.B, Vicar of Crowle and Upton Snodsbury, Vicarage

Bagshaw Arthur, farmer, Lower Crowle

Bagshaw John, victualler, Old Chequers

Bridgins Joseph, carpenter, Sales Green

Bunn Joseph, baker

Chamberlain William, gamekeeper to Colonel Clowes

Checketts Thomas, wheelwright

Cottrill John P., farmer, Folly Corner

Crocker Esther, victualler, New Chequers

Dolphin William, shopkeeper

Gittus Thomas, victualler, The Fox, Sales Green

Gough Thomas, tailor

Haidon Thomas, wheelwright

Haynes Jonathan, farmer, White House

Lilley Guy, shopkeeper

Lloyd John, farmer, and land surveyor; also of the Lower Barn

Milner Charles, farmer, Rectory Farm, Lower Crowle

Moseley William, shoe maker

Munslow Frederick, veterinary surgeon

Munslow Sarah, blacksmith

Partington Henry, farmer, Friezeland; and of the Woods Farm

Phipps Olivia, farmer, New House

Skinner Arthur, carpenter

Smith John, farmer, Hunt’s Farm

Smith Robert, farmer Crowle Green

Smith Robert, farmer, Crowle Court

Smith William, baker, maltster, and shopkeeper

Spencer Joseph, tailor

Tombs Arthur, carpenter

Tombs Robert, shoe maker

Tombs Thomas, shoe maker

Wall John, Police Officer, Station

Wilkes Samuel, shopkeeper and butcher

Winnall James, farmer, Commandry Farm, Lower Crowle

Post Office – Mr. William Smith, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 3 30 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.