Crowle (inc. Sale Green) Littlebury’s Directory 1879

Crowle (anciently written Crohlea) is a village and parish 5 miles E. of Worcester and 6 S.E. of Droitwich; is in the western division of the county, Middle Oswaldslow hundred, Droitwich union and county court district, Broughton Hackett polling district, and Worcester petty sessional division; area of parish, 1,640 acres; annual rateable value, £3,548; population in 1861, 576; in 1871, 532; inhabited houses, 113; families or separate occupiers, 128. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are the trustees of Lieut.-Colonel Clowes, Captain D. Galton, trustees of the late Mr. R. Smith, Captain Castle, Mr. Wilson, and the Rev. W. H. Woolrych. The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay and marl; chief crops, wheat, beans, &c. Crowle is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of East Worcester; living, a vicarage, value £400, with residence, in the patronage of, and held by, the Rev. William Henry Woolrych, B.A., Pembroke College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1860, and is also vicar of Huddington. The church of St. John the Baptist is an interesting cruciform structure in the Early English style, with tower containing five bells. It has a Norman chancel, a fine old porch with holy-water stoup, a door, lock, and key of Perpendicular work, a 12th-century lectern of Purbeck marble, and many other curious remains. The earliest register is dated 1539. The national school for Crowle and Huddington was erected in 1864. It has accommodation for upwards of 100 children. The Rev. Richard Harrison left the interest of £50, and Robert Smith, Esq., the interest of £90 to the poor; Elizabeth Attwood left the interest of £20 to old maids or widows; land left by another benefactor produces about £50 yearly, which is now used for the repair of the roads, the fabric of the church, and the relief of the poor. At Crowle court some remains of the ancient manor-house of the Priors of Worcester (the retiring place of Prior Moore shortly before the Dissolution), with its moat, fish-ponds, and gardens, may still be traced. Froxmer Court is the residence of Thomas William Hill, Esq.

POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive by messenger from Worcester about 9 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.25 p.m. Worcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town. Letters from Sale Green are received through Droitwich.

Parish Church (St. John the Baptist’s). – Rev. William Henry Woolrych, B.A., Patron and Vicar; Messrs. John Winnall and James T. Cowton, Churchwardens; Thomas Tombs, Parish Clerk.

National School (boys and girls). – Edward Griffin, Master.

Carrier to Worcester. – John Hughes (on Wednesdays and Saturdays), stops at the old Greyhound Inn, New street, returning at 4 p.m.


Baylis Mr. Caleb, Kemerton villa

Hill Thomas Wm., Esq., Froxmer court

Wilson John Joseph, Esq., The Mordaunts

Woolrych Rev. William Henry, B.A. (Patron and vicar of Crowle and vicar of Huddington), The Vicarage.


Anderson Robert, farmer, Friezland farm

Bear William, Fox Inn, Sale green

Bullock William, surveyor of highways

Bunn Joseph, Crowle green

Cooper George, blacksmith and farrier; and at Whittington

Cowton Charles, farmer, Old house

Cowton James Thomas, Old Chequers Inn

Crocker Mrs. Elizabeth, New Chequers Inn

Gittus Thomas, V., beer retailer, Sale green

Griffin Edward, schoolmaster

Hadley Alexander, baker and maltster

Huband John, farmer, New house

Hughes Joseph, shopkeeper

Lewis Mr., farmer, Bleak house

Meek Alexander, farm bailiff to Samuel Wilson, Esq., Crowle court

Munslow Fredk., vet. Surgeon, Oak house

Phillips George, wheelwright and builder, White house

Rea William, shopkeeper

Smith Mrs. Abigail, farmer, Rectory farm

Smith Mrs. Thos., frmr., Crowle Green fm.

Spencer Joseph, tailor

Till George, blacksmith and farrier

Tombs Mrs. dressmaker

Tombs Thos., shoemaker & parish clerk

Tomlinson Mr., farmer

Tyler John, carpenter, Sale green

Wilks Samuel, shopkeeper, &c.

Wilson John Joseph, farmer and landowner, The Mordaunts; and Gordon’s farm, Tibberton

Winnall James & John, farmers, Hunt’s fm.

Wythes Joseph, farmer, Commandry fm.

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.