Cotheridge is a village and parish near the river Teme, 4 miles W. of Worcester and 1 mile N. of Leigh Court station on the Worcester and Bromyard railway; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow, union and highway district of Martley, petty sessional division and county court district of Worcester, polling district of St. John’s; annual rateable value, £3,320; area of the parish, 2,202 acres; population in 1861, 233, in 1871, 240, with 49 inhabited houses and 50 families or separate occupiers. The Rev. William Comyns Berkeley is lord of the manor, and owns the whole parish except about 12 acres belonging to Henry Bramwell, Esq., of Crown East court. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay; chief crops, wheat, beans, hops, and pasture. Cotheridge is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of West Worcester; the living is a vicarage in the patronage of the Rev. William Comyns Berkeley, B.A., Jesus College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. William Nichols Berkeley, B.A., Jesus College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1873. The church of St. Leonard is a plain building, with nave, chancel, and vestry room or chapel on the north side, under which is the Berkeley vault. The tower, which contains four bells, is of massive wood framework, the lower part of plaster, apparently of the sixteenth century. The chancel arch is Norman, and the east window until recently contained stained glass, with the arms of Say and Mortimer and Talbot, of Richard’s Castle, Sir Walter Lucy, of Dallington, Northampton (who died 1444), also his wife Eleanor, daughter of Sir Warine Archdekne, of Lanyhorne castle, Cornwall, and Judge Berkeley, but this has been removed and replaced by a painted window (by Preedy) presented by Mrs. Russell Ingram, daughter of the Rev. Richard Tompkyns Berkeley, in memory of her father and mother. In the chapel is a handsome cenotaph to Thomas, son of Sir Rowland Berkeley, who died in 1669 at Megree, Greece. Ancient encaustic tiles with curious inscriptions and other points of interest will be found here. The earliest register is dated 1653. There is a national school for boys and girls. Cotheridge Court, the seat of the Rev. W. C. Berkeley, is a spacious mansion near the church, approached through a noble avenue of lofty lime trees, extending in a straight line for about three-quarters of a mile. Lightwood lies to the N.E.; Maples Cross is 1 mile N.; Otherton 1 mile E.; Allsetts (or Horsage) 1 ½ N.; Howsen is a hamlet, 1 mile S.E.
Postal Regulations. – Edward Preece, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Worcester at 7.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 7.30 p.m. Worcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Leonard’s). – Rev. William Nichols Berkeley, B.A., Vicar; Mr. Lambert Nicholls, Churchwarden; J. Hundley, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Sarah Jane Cheese, Mistress.
Berkeley Rev. William Comyns, B.A., Cotheridge court
Berkeley Rev. Wm. Nichols, B.A. (vicar of Cotheridge), Newbury, Broadheath
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Browning Mrs. Harriet, farmer, Middle Lightwood
Cheese Miss Sarah Jane, schoolmistress
Cheese William, shopkeeper
Daniel Joseph, farmer, Maples cross; res., Elms farm, St. John’s
Daniel Richard, farmer, Little Lightwood
Hilles William, farmer and hop grower, Lower court
Hundley John, parish clerk
James Francis, farmer, Upper Lightwood, Broadheath
Lea William, farmer, Great and Little Otherton farms
Nicholls Lambert, auctioneer, farmer, and hop grower, Great and Little Howsen farms; office, 5 Foregate St., Worcester
Orgee Wm., frmr., Great & Little Allsetts
Preece Edward, blacksmith & sub-postma.
Stinton Mrs., farmer, Great Lightwood
Webster Anthony, farmer & dlr., Hill top
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.