Clifton-on-Teme (inc. Lower Sapey) Littleburys Directory 1879

Clifton-on-Teme is a picturesque village and parish overlooking the Teme valley and its lovely scenery, 11 miles N.W. of Worcester, 10 S.E. of Tenbury, 3 N.W. of Martley, and 5 N. of Knightwick station on the Worcester and Bromyard railway; is in the western division of the county, Upper Doddingtree hundred, Martley union, highway district and polling district, Worcester county court district, and Hundred House petty sessional division. The area of the parish is 2,972 acres; annual rateable value, £3,895; population in 1861, 542; in 1871, 525, with 105 inhabited houses and 128 families or separate occupiers. Sir Francis Salwey Winnington, Bart., of Stanford court, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The Earl of Dudley and the Rev. E. Winnington Ingram are also landowners here. The soil is a red clay generally, with abundance of hops and apples, oak and ash timber, the usual cereal crops except oats, rich feeding lands, good cattle on the hills, and two corn mills on the Teme, and the romantic Sapey brook. Clifton was anciently a borough, having fairs and a market; an agricultural association was established here a few years ago. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, archdeaconry of Ludlow, and rural deanery of East Burford; annual value, £250, with residence; patron, Sir Francis S. Winnington, Bart.; vicar, the Hon. and Rev. Robert Chichester Moncreiff, B.A., Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1874. The church of St. Kenelm contains specimens of Early English and every succeeding style, and consists of chancel, nave, and large south aisle, with Norman tower and modern spire and five bells. The earliest register is dated 1598. Here is a national school under Government inspection; also a benefit club. Woodmanton is an ancient manor-house, half a mile south, the seat of the Wyshams and Couchers. It is now a farmhouse, the property of – Coucher, Esq., of London. Lower Sapey, or Sapey Pitchard, is a chapelry and manor; it is distinguished for great natural beauty. Ham, or Homme Castle, the ancient seat of the Jeffreys, The Noke, The Hope, and Salford are places or ancient residences in the parish.

Postal Regulations. – Charles Green, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Worcester at 8.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5 p.m. Money orders are granted and paid, and post-office savings-bank business transacted at this office. Post town, Worcester.

Parish Church (St. Kenelm’s). – The Hon. and Rev. Robert Chichester Moncreiff, B.A., Vicar; Messrs. Charles E. Boddington and Joseph Moore, Churchwardens; Thomas Jones, Parish Clerk.

National School (boys and girls). – Thomas Rous, Master.

Carrier to Worcester. – Mrs. Roberts, on Saturdays.


Bolton Mrs., New house

Davis Mrs., Bayton villa

Moncreiff The Hon. and Rev. Robert Chichester, B.A. (vicar), The Vicarage

Walker Miss


Boddington Chas. E., farmer, Church ho.

Broadburn Henry, stonemason

Bull John, carpenter

Caswell J., farmer & hop grower, Pitlands

Cooper John, farmer and hop grower, The Hope farm

Cownley John, boot and shoe maker

Davis Charles, horse breaker

Dovey John, plumber, &c.

Drew Samuel, farmer, Moorfields

Green Chas., grocer, provision dlr., draper, & sub-postmaster, Post office

Griffiths Mrs. E., beer retailer, New Inn

Hanly Mrs. Susannah, miller

Harber Francis, fmr. & butcher, Noak fm.

Holloway Thos., Red Lion Inn, & farmer

Hooper Edward, farmer, Clifton wood

Jones Thomas, wheelwright, machinist, and general smith, Church villa

Jones Thomas, tailor and draper

Lewis John, carpenter, &c.

Lewis Thomas, farmer, Holland’s mill

Moore John, fmr. & hop grw., The Ham

Moore Jos., fmr. & hop grw., Ham castle

Mortlock William E., insurance agent

Neville Mrs., farmer, Angstrey

Palmer Richard W., shopkeeper

Quarrell Thomas Joseph, farmer and hop grower, Woodmanton

Roberts Edward, carrier

Roberts Edwin, blacksmith

Roberts Shadrach, blacksmith

Rous Thomas, master of national school

Smith J. W., fmr. & hop grw., Salford crt.

Smith Sam., fmr. & hop grw., Steps frm.

Wainwright John, pump maker and well sinker

Webb Henry, pig butcher

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.