Churchill is a small parish distant 5 miles E. of Worcester and 7½ S. of Droitwich; is in the western division of the county, Halfshire hundred1, Pershore union, Upton Snodsbury highway district, Broughton Hackett polling district, Worcester county court district and petty sessional division; population in 1861, 78; in 1871, 81, with 16 inhabited houses, and 20 families or separate occupiers. The area of the parish is 924 acres (660a. 2r. 20p. exclusive of woodland); annual rateable value, £871. Robert Berkeley, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and beans. A mineral spring, which many years ago was held by some in equal estimation with Tunbridge spa, exists here; also a strong petrifying spring. The church of St. Leonard is an ancient little building, of good proportions and features of better times. It consists of nave and chancel with bell-turret and two bells. The living is a rectory in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of East Worcester; value £240, with residence; patron, Robert Berkeley, Esq.; rector, Rev. William Andrew Faulkner, B.A., Magdalene Hall, Oxford, who was instituted in 1863. The register begins with the year 1767. The children of this parish attend the national school at Bredicot. The interest of £200, left by Thomas Barker, Esq., and £150, left by the Rev. George Dineley (a former rector), is distributed annually among the poor. Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Worcester, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Leonard’s). – Rev. William Andrew Faulkner, B.A., Rector; Messrs. George Jackson and Henry Bullock, Churchwardens; William Summerton, Parish Clerk.
Faulkner Rev. William Andrew, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
Bourne William, manager of flour mill
Bullock Henry, farmer and miller
Clements George, farm bailiff for Robert Berkeley, Esq., D.L., Churchill wood
Green G., woodman for R. Berkeley, Esq.
Jackson George, farmer
Summerton William, parish clerk
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
- This is an error in the directory as it should be hundred of Oswaldslow ↩