Churchill Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855



Churchill is a very small parish, situate about 3 ½ miles from Kidderminster, and the same distance from Stourbridge. The village consists of a very few houses, and the population in 1851 was only 193.

The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a very small edifice, without either tower or spire: there is a small bellcot. Rev. Reginald P. Turner, Rector; Mr. Thomas Lane, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

DIRECTORY

Amphlett Mr. John, Churchill House

Trow William, Esq., Magistrate, Ismere House

Turner Rev. Reginald P., Rector

Batche Henry, spade and shovel maker

Baynton Susannah, farmer

Birch John, farmer

Green James, farmer

Hall Charles, wheelwright

Hodgkinson Charles, civil engineer

Need John, farmer

Poole William, Sub-Postmaster, and spade and shovel plater

Tolley William, farmer, Iverley Farm

Whittaker Thomas, farmer

Whittaker James, victualler, Old Waggon and Horses

Post Office – William Poole, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 4 25 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.