Chaseley is a small parish and village, situate about 3 miles from Tewkesbury, and 7 from Upton, containing in 1851 a population of 348 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a small, antiquated-looking structure, with square tower, containing six bells. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the gift of the Vicar of Longdon. Rev. Samuel S. Parish, Incumbent; Mr. Henry Smith, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 2 30 p.m.
There is a Parochial School in the village. Caroline Wagstaff, Mistress.
Parish Rev. Samuel S., Incumbent
Pearce Mr. Thomas, Hill End Villa
Barnfield Daniel, shoe maker
Berwick Henry, shopkeeper
Clift Mr., agent, Chaseley Cottage
Fritwell John, farmer, New Hall
Higgins John, farmer, New House
Hutton William, farmer, Chaseley Court
Lane William, farmer, Chaseley Hall
Lord John, farmer, Hill end
Pope John, Farmer, Grain House
Scriven William, shopkeeper and carrier
South Henry, shopkeeper
Spiers J., farmer, Chaseley Waith
Westbury Thomas, shoe maker
Carrier – To Cheltenham, William Scriven, from own house, Thurs., 8 a.m. To Gloucester, Sat., 7 a.m.; and Tewkesbury, Wed., 8 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855