Broughton Hackett Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879

Broughton Hackett (anciently Bretune) is a village and small parish 5 miles E. of Worcester, in the hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; is a polling place for the western division of the county; is in Worcester county court district and petty sessional division, Upton Snodsbury highway district, and Pershore union; is assessed to the county rate at £648. Area of the parish, 360 acres; population in 1861, 164; in 1871, 170; with 41 inhabited houses, and 48 families or separate occupiers. The Crowle brook runs by the parish. The principal landowners in this little territory are the Earl of Coventry, Robert Berkeley, Esq., William Laslett, Esq., Mrs. Bridges, and the Executors of the late Colonel Clowes. The soil is clayey; chief crops, grass, corn, roots, and fruit; and some of the inhabitants are employed in lime-burning, there being a considerable quantity of limestone in the parish. The glebe land is more than 60 acres. The living is a rectory, in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of East Worcester, value £95, in the patronage of the Crown; rector, Rev. Henry Martyn Sherwood, B.A., Queen’s College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1843, and resides at White Ladies’ Aston. The church of St. Leonard is a small oblong building, with wooden bell-cot, and was nearly rebuilt in 1843. There is a small annual fund for repairing the church. There are a few Roman Catholics in the parish. The register begins with the year 1761. The present population (1879) is about 150.

Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Worcester, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.

Parish Church (St. Leonard’s). – Rev. Henry Martyn Sherwood, B.A., Rector; Messrs. Benjamin Hughes and John Rogers, Churchwardens; George Sanders, Parish Clerk.


Calder Thomas, farmer, Manor House farm; res., Worcester

Chandler James, lime burner

Griffiths William, baker and shopkeeper

Hill Edwin, blacksmith

Holt Thomas, New Inn

Hughes Benjamin, farmer; res., Court house, Upton Snodsbury

Read William, lime burner

Rider Anthony, cot. farmer (non-resident)

Rogers John, farmer, Rectory farm

Sanders George, parish clerk

Smith Mr. J. W.

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.