Broughton Hackett Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855



Broughton Hackett is a very small village and parish, situate about 4 ½ miles E. from Worcester, containing according to the census of 1851 a population of 133, being 21 less than in 1841.

The Church is a very plain building, in the early English style of architecture, containing only a nave and chancel, with nothing to call forth any further comment, if we except a tablet to the Bridges family. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Crown. Rev. Henry M. Sherwood, B.A., Incumbent; Mr. Thomas Holt, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m.

The Charities are but few. Thomas Gould and John Cross left a messuage and land, the proceeds of which are divided between the church and the poor. The sum of £2 was left by William Yeardley, the interest to be distributed to the poor at Easter.

DIRECTORY

Cormer Edwin, farmer

Cormer George, farmer

Hill Robert, blacksmith

Holt Edwin, shoe maker

Holt Thomas, beer retailer, New Inn

Huband John, farmer

Page Henry, farmer, Broughton House

Rogers John, farmer, Rectory Farm

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.