Broom, Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855


Broom, a small parish, is situated about 6 miles N.N.W. from Bromsgrove, and 4 ½ S. from Stourbridge, and contained in 1851 a population of 143 inhabitants.

This parish contains only a few buildings, which are principally farm-houses, and the Rectory. The principal part of the place is the property of Lord Ward. It is somewhat remarkable that there never was a public-house in the parish; not that this is the only instance in the county, but it might not be expected in this thickly-populated part of it.

The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small, neat brick edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, and small western bell-cot tower. The interior is neatly fitted up, and the cancel has been lengthened by the [resent Rector, who has been pastor for fifty-four years. There is an extraordinary circumstance attached to the history of this church, which is, that in the old church, near to the western portion of the nave, stood the trunk or body of an ancient oak tree, in which was suspended the church bell. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Joseph Green Bourne, Esq. Rev. Edward Dudley, M.A., Rector; Mr. Charles Boughton, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.

The School, with house attached, a neat and appropriate building, was erected by Lord Ward, and is supported by the Rector and parishioners. Emma Crawford, Mistress. Number of children, 24.

DIRECTORY

Addenbrooke Mrs., Broom House

Dudley Rev. E., M.A., Rector, Rectory

Cole Thomas, farmer

Hickman Walter, farmer, Red Hill

Morton James, farmer, The Lodge; also of Broom House Farm

Pitt John, farmer, Cottage Farm

Potter Joseph, miller, maltster, and farmer, Broom Mill

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.