Bransford, although a chapelry of Leigh, is a separate parish. It supports its own poor, pays its own rates, and has an area of 1,020 acres, of which about half, viz., Brace’s Leigh and the New House farms, belong to Earl Beauchamp, Gilberts and the Hall house to T. H. Little, Esq., a small estate to E. J. Onley, Esq., and the Worfield charity land rented by Mr. H. Mann from the corporation of Worcester. Leigh and Bransford are both privileged to the Worfield exhibitions for the sons of poor persons at the universities. The ancient family of Brace, or De Bracey, gave their name to the manor above mentioned, where is still an interesting old manor-house. Bransford bridge, over the Teme, is about 3 miles and the chapel 4 ½ miles S.W. of Worcester. The parish is in the western division of the county, hundred of Lower Pershore, union and highway district of Martley, petty sessional division of Worcester, county court district of Great Malvern, polling district of Malvern Link, rural deanery of Powick, dioceses and archdeaconry of Worcester. It is assessed to the county rate at £2,648. The population in 1861 was 270; in 1871, 299, with 60 inhabited houses and 75 families or separate occupiers. Earl Beauchamp is lord of the manor. There is fine feeding land in the Temeside meadows; and grain, roots, green crops, hops, apples, and pears are grown. Formerly there was a snuff mill and cloth factory by the Teme, but now there is only a flour mill there. The chapel is a little ancient stone building in a very secluded spot. The register begins at 1767. The Rev. Bernard Henry Sheppard, M.A., rector of Leigh, or his curate, officiates. The national school is under Government inspection; average attendance about 100. The Bransford Road station on the West Midland section of the Great Western railway is in Powick parish.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Worcester. The letter-box (near the school) is cleared at 5.25 p.m. on week-days, and 10.55 a.m. on Sundays. Malvern Link is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Chapel-of-Ease. – Rev. Bernard Henry Sheppard, M.A., Rector; Rev. J. W. Chesshire, Curate; Mr. John Newman, Churchwarden.
National School (boys and girls). – Mr. William Joseph Vaudin, Master.
Bransford Road Station (Great Western Railway). – Mr. William Harvey, Station Master.
Steward of the Manor of Bransford. – Francis Parker, Esq., 3 Foregate street, Worcester.
Cazalet Major G. Henry, Bransford court
Chesshire Rev. J. W. (curate of Leigh and Bransford), Suckley road
Onley Edward John, Esq., Bank House
Prattenton Rev. George Deakin Onley, Bank House
Ryder Thomas Bromfield, Vine cottage
Sheppard Rev. Bernard Hy., M.A. (rector of Leigh with Bransford), The Rectory
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Busk William, blacksmith, The Hole
Crump John, farmer, Suckley road
Essex William, fmr. & hop grw., Gilberts
Harvey Wm., station master, Railway sta.
Hooper John, boot and shoe maker
Horton William, coal merchant, Railway station; res., Cart house
Madge James, tailor, Suckley road
Mann Henry, farmer, Hole farm
Mann William, parish clerk of Leigh
Mann William, jun., relieving officer and registrar for Leigh district
Morgan John, builder, &c.
Morgan William, builder, &c.
Newman John, fmr. & hop grw., New ho.
Onley Edward John, farmer, hop grower, and landowner, Bank house
Pitt Thomas, Bear and Ragged Staff Inn, near Railway station
Potter Alfred, miller, Bransford mills
Simms Mrs. Charlotte, Fox Inn
Stokes Frederick Scott, farmer and hop grower, Brace’s Leigh
Vaudin Wm., J., master of National schl.
Venmore Mrs. Sarah, shopkpr., Suckley rd.
Williams Charles, farmer, The Hall ho.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.