Birlingham Worcestershire Bentley’s History and Directory of the borough of Evesham 1840



Birlingham is a fertile parish about 2½ miles S.W. of Pershore, the village contains several respectable houses, and the parish being almost surrounded by the winding Avon, the scenery is delightful; it contains 1,218 acres, the population is about 360. The church is a neat stone structure, with a tower containing 5 bells; in the chancel there are 2 windows of ancient stained glass, and the church contains 176 seats; the living is a rectory, in the gift and incumbency of the Rev. Robert Eyres Landor; service commences at 11 in the morning, and 3 in the afternoon ; W. Handcock, is clerk, and there is a Sunday school connected with the Church.

The late Miss Martha Porter left £200. to the poor of the parish, also £200. to the Sunday School, £1. per year of the interest goes towards the repair of the church clock. Here are 8 Alms-houses with gardens, founded by the late Thomas Chinnall Porter, in the year 1824.

Aldington John, blacksmith

Attwood Abel, shopkeeper

Barnard John, miller

Barnard W. miller, Nafford Mill

Bick J. H. B. maltster

Broomhall Edmund, butcher

Butt John, beerseller

Clemens W. farmer Burlingham Hall

Dufty William, farmer

Etheridge J. boot and Shoemaker

Handcock William, carpenter

Knott W. auditor of the Pershore Union

Landor Rev. R. E. Birlingham

Pearce Joseph, farmer

Pitcher T. Butcher and farmer

Porter Miss Anne

Porter Mrs Martha

Porter Miss Phoebe

Quarrell James, labourer

Risdon Benjamin Esq., Birlingham Court House

Skinner William, farmer

Smithin Joseph, farmer

Smith Francis, gardner

Smith William, shoemaker

Turbeville Giles, shopkeeper and tailor

Woakes G. H. maltster and hop merchant

Woodward Joseph, farmer

Woodward William, land agent

Carrier

To Worcester, William Smith, Saturday.

Source: Bentley’s history, guide, and alphabetical and classified directory, of the borough of Evesham of the market towns of Pershore, Shipston-upon-Stour, and Upton-upon-Severn, and the villages of Broadway and Great Malvern; and an history and alphabetical directory of seventy-eight parishes in the county south of the city of Worcester … forming vol. III of Bentley’s history, directory, and statistics of Worcestershire. Published 1840 by Printed for the proprietor, by Bull & Turner in Birmingham.



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.