Areley Kings is a small parish pleasantly situated on an elevated spot, close to the modern town of Stourport, 12 miles N. of Worcester, 3 S. of Bewdley, and within half a mile of the river Severn; is in the Western division of the county, Upper Doddingtree hundred, Martley union, Stourport petty sessional division and polling district, Kidderminster highway and county court district, Worcester diocese and archdeaconry, and West Worcester rural deanery. The parish has excellent communications by river and rail, the Severn Valley line running by Stourport. There is charming scenery here. The area is 1,449 acres; annual rateable value, £3,367; the soil is loamy; subsoil, sandstone; chief produce, wheat, burley, oats, potatoes, turnips, and apples. The common was enclosed in 1843. Sampson Zachary Lloyd, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The population in 1861 was 564; in 1871, 625; inhabited houses, 148; families or separate occupiers, 157. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, has a nave and chancel, with tower in the centre of south aisle, forming the principal entrance. It is nearly all 15th-century work (Perpendicular), except a Norman doorway in the north wall. In 1865 it was repewed and otherwise repaired, at a cost of £200. A good tenor bell, by Blews & Son, of Birmingham, was added in 1867 to the previous peal of five. There are some curious inscriptions in the church, and a slab in the chancel in memory of W. Walsh, Esq., a connection of the poet Walsh, who lived at Abberley; also in the churchyard are a remarkable old sculptured pillar-dial and a monument of sandstone blocks in the wall facing to the memory of Sir H. Coninysby, the latter of which has occasioned some controversy. The register commences with the year 1539. The living is a rectory, annual value £410, in the patronage of the Rev. John Parsons Hastings, M.A. (of Martley), and held by the Rev. Edward Acton Davies, M. A., St. John’s College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1875. The national school for boys and girls was established in 1834, and enlarged in 1872 at a cost of £200, and now affords accommodation for 100 children. There is a residence for the mistress attached. The charities amount to about £25 yearly. An estate was left in the 17th century for the purpose of keeping the parish church in repair, so that there are no church-rates. Layamon a famous historian in the 11th century, was born at Areley. In the ancient manor house of the Zacharys it is said Prince Rupert once slept in the civil wars; and until a few years ago the old buttery-hatch, dais, and other curious antiquities, remained in the mansion. Areley Hall is now the seat of Sampson Zachary Lloyd, Esq. Areley Court is a new mansion, the residence of Charles Harrison, Esq., M.P. for Bewdley and Stourport. Areley House, the residence of Edward Broome, Esq., is near the Severn. Broomy Hill is occupied by Mrs. Zachary. Dudley is a hamlet one mile S.W. A portion of this hamlet is in the parish of Astley. Dunley Hall is at present void.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Stourport, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Bartholomew’s), – Rev. Edward Acton Davies, M.A., Rector; Rev. Henry Charles Littlewood, M. A. , Curate; Messrs. James Blount and Stephen Knowles, Churchwardens; William Daw, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Mrs. Turner, Mistress.
Collector of Rates and Taxes. – Mr. James Blount, Dunley House.
Broome Edward, Esq., Areley house
Davies Rev. Edward Acton, M. A. (rector) The Rectory
Harrison Charles, Esq., M.P., J.P., Areley Court; and National club and Reform club, London, W.
Lloyd Sampson Zachery, Esq., Areley hall
Turner Mr. Thomas, Areley cottage
Waldron Mr., Dunley lodge
Wilson Miss, Lower house
Woodyatt Mr. John, Dunley
Zachery Mrs., Broomy hill
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Ballard John, cider retailer, Dunley
Blount James, collector of rates and taxes, Dunley house
Brazier John, farmer, Bank farm
Butler George, boot & shoe ma., Dunley
Butler Joseph, Squirrel Inn, and coal merchant
Dance Mrs. Elizth., farmer, White house
Daw Wm., miller, carpenter. & parish clerk
Hill William, farmer, Church farm
Jackson Thomas, farmer, Beaman’s farm
Kenwrick William, farmer, Sturt house
Knowles James, Old Dog Inn, & builder, Dunley
Knowles Stephen, farmer, Burnthorn farm
Martin Rd., plumber, glazier, and painter
Mills William, farmer
Palmer Thomas, tailor and shopkpr., Dunley
Proudman Robert, farmer, Red house
Rann John, blacksmith, Dunley
Rowe Thos., market gardnr. & dairyman
Smith D. H., farmer, Grove farm
Smith Edwin William, maltster and hop merchant, Dunley villa
Turner Mrs., schoolmistress
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.