Abbots Morton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
The parish of Abbots Morton incorporates the hamlets of Morton Spirt, The Low and Gooms Hill as well as the village of Abbots Morton.
Church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1728
A national schoolroom at Goom’s hill was built in 1844.
Parishes adjacent to Abbots Morton
The Little Guides, Worcestershire 1939
Abbots Morton (4m. S.W. Alcester), a sequestered village containing many timber-framed cottages, most of them thatched. Church (St. Peter), chancel, nave, N. transept and modern vestry, S. porch and W. tower. Part of N. wall of nave 12th cent., chancel mid-14th cent., transept (rebuilt) and tower somewhat later. The latter, of two stages, has W. window with tracery of flamboyant tendency, remains of gargoyles, and a low saddle-back roof within an embattled parapet. The S. doorway is of 15th cent., and the S. chancel wall contains a 16th cent. doorway and a 3-light window of the same date with peculiar tracery (cf. Broadway). Within note: (i) the 12th cent. font (re-cut); (ii) that there is no chancel arch, but a tympanum resting on an ancient beam, below which is a modern screen; (iii) altar rails 17th cent.; (iv) roofs ancient with embattled wall plates in chancel; (v) the E. window containing some Flemish glass, 1590, scenes from the life of David, given by G. J. Walker in 1841. The N. window of the transept contains some ancient glass together with the Walker crest and shield of arms. There is a late 14th cent. bell with royal heads from a Worcester foundry inscribed: “Virgenis Egregie Vocor Capana Maria.”
Source: The Little Guides, Worcestershire by F. T. S. Houghton. Methuen & Co. Ltd. London. Second edition. 1939.
The Imperial Gazetteer 1870
Abbots-Morton, a parish in the district of Alcester and county of Worcester; 6 miles N by E of Fladbury r. station, and 7 WSW of Alcester. It has a post-office under Bromsgrove. Acres, 1,420. Real property, £2,091. Pop., 245. Houses, 57. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £146. Patron, G. J. A. Walker, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Morton (Abbot’s), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Blackenhurst, county of Worcester, 5½ miles (W. S.W.) from Alcester, containing 236 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king’s books at £8., and in the patronage of T. B. Eades, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Peter.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Abbots-Morton, a parish in the lower division of Blackenhurst hund., Alcester union, Worcestershire; 10 miles east from Worcester, and 6 from the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £8; gross income, £155. Patron, in 1835 Thomas Eades, Esq. Pop. in 1801, 191; in 1831, 233. Houses 52. Acres 1,420. A. P. £1,563. Poor rates, in 1837, £75.
Source: The Parliamentary gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Morton, Abbot’s, or Stony, co. Worcester.
P. T. Evesham (90) 7 m. N b W. Pop. 230.
A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Blackenhurst; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester; valued in K. B. 8l.; church ded. to St. Peter; patron, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Worcestershire Delineated 1822
Abbots Morton – a parish in the hundred of Blakenhurst, lower division, 8 miles N.N.E. from Evesham, and 104 from London, containing 44 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. John Eades, incumbent; instituted 1796; patron, T. B. Eades, Esq. Population, 1801, 191 – 1811, 231 – 1821, 236.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom 1808
Abbottsmorton, a parish in the hundred of Blakenhurst, Worcester, 4 miles from Evesham, and 100 from London; containing 40 houses and 191 inhabitants. It is a rectory, value 8l.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Alcester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: FamilySearch states Pershore, Littlebury’s Directory 1879 states Feckenham.
- Poor Law Union: Alcester
- Hundred: Blackenhurst
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional Division: Pershore
- County Court District: Pershore
- Polling District: Inkberrow
- Highway District: Upton Snodsbury