Stanton St Bernard, Wiltshire Family History Guide


The Street, Stanton St Bernard
The Street, Stanton St Bernard Corner Cottage at the junction of The Street (ahead), Church Road (behind) and Coate Lane (left). Andrew Smith / The Street, Stanton St Bernard / CC BY-SA 2.0

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: St Bernard Stanton, Staunton St Bernard

Parish church: All Saints

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1568
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Stanton St Bernard

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

STANTON-ST. BERNARD, a parish in Devizes district, Wilts; on the Kennet and Avon canal, 2¼ miles NW by N of Woodborough r. station, and 5½ E by N of Devizes. It has a post-office under Marlborough. Acres, 1,979. Real property, £3,139. Pop., 358. Houses, 77. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pembroke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £222. Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church was recently rebuilt. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £47.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

Kelly’s Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorsetshire and the Isle of Wight 1889

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Devizes
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Avebury
Poor Law Union: Devizes
Hundred: Swanborough (Wiltshire)
Province: Canterbury



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.