Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Aldrington St Giles
Parish church: St. Giles
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1606
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Parishes adjacent to Alderton
- Littleton Drew
- Sherston Magna with Sherston Parva
- Acton Turville Gloucestershire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALDERTON, a parish in Malmesbury district, Wilts: near Akeman-street, 9 miles NNW of Chippenham r. station. It has a post office under Chippenham. Acres, 1,587. Real property, £2,404. Pop., 192. Houses, 44. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir J. Neeld, Bart. Gore, the antiquary, who flourished in the 17th century, was a native of Alderton, and was buried in the church.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Alderton, a parish in the division and union of Malmesbury, Wilts; 8 miles south-west of Malmesbury. Living, a curacy in the archd. and dio. of Salisbury, annexed to the vicarage of Sherston-Magna. It is not in charge, and is rated in the parliamentary returns at £30. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Gloucester. Pop., in 1801, 103; in 1831, 213. Houses 34. Acres 1,700. A. P. £2,822. Poor rates, in 1837, £91.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alderton, 6 m. S.W. Malmsbury. P. 183
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Marriages at Alderton 1606-1812 – UK Genealogy Archives
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Malmesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
- Poor Law Union: Alderbury
- Hundred: Chippenham
- Province: Canterbury
Last Updated: 27 January 2019