Status: Ancient Parish
Other places in the parish include: the chapelries of Pitton and Farley
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1606
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Alderbury
- West Grimstead
- Charlton All Saints
- Nunton and Bodenham
- Clarendon Park
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALDERBURY, a village, a parish, a subdistrict, a hundred, and a district in Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, near the Salisbury branch of the South-western railway, 3 miles SE of Salisbury; and has a post office under Salisbury. The parish includes also the chapelries of Pitton and Farley. Acres, 4,332. Real property of Alderbury, Whaddon, and West Grimstead, £4,270; of Pitton and Farley, £2,921. Pop. of the parish, 1,334. Houses, 288. The property is divided among a few. Alderbury House, the seat of the Forts, in the vicinity of the village, was built of materials from the ancient belfry of Salisbury cathedral. Ivy-Church, some remains of which exist in a school-house on an eminence, was an Augustinian priory founded by King Stephen. The living of Alderbury is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; and includes the curacies of Pitton and Farley. Value, £477. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is excellent. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £16. The subdistrict comprises five parishes, part of another parish, and three extra parochial tracts. Acres, 24,551. Pop., 4,357. Houses, 924. The hundred comprises most of the parishes and tracts of the subdistrict, and includes so many others as to be more extensive. Acres, 32,790. Pop., 4,877. Houses, 1,019. The district comprehends the subdistrict of Alderbury, containing the parishes of Alderbury, Winterslow, West Grimstead, Whiteparish, and Landford, part of the parish of West Dean, and the extra-parochial tracts of Clarendon-Park, Melchet-Park, and Earldoms; the suh-district of Downton, containing the parishes of Downton, Standlinch, Nunton-with-Bodenham, Odstock, Homington, Coombe-Bissett, and Stratford-St.-Anthony; and the subdistrict of Britford, containing the parishes of Britford, West Harnham, Laverstock, Stratford-under-the-Castle, and Fisherton-Anger, part of the parish of St. Martin, the liberty of Salisbury Close, and the extra-parochial Old Sarum. Acres, 53,490. Poor-rates in 1866, £11,086. Pop. in 1841, 14,174; in 1861, 14,770. Houses, 2,977. Marriages in 1866, 91; births, 472, of which 26 were illegitimate; deaths, 337, of which 82 were at ages under 5 years, and 8 were at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,069; births, 4,550; deaths, 3,365. The places of worship in 1851 were 23 of the Church of England, with 4,827 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 35 s.; 7 of Baptists, with 894 s.; 12 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,346 s.; and 2 of Primitive Methodists, with 822 s. The schools in 1851 were 27 public day-schools, with 1,633 scholars; 17 private day schools, with 325 s.; 36 Sunday schools, with 2,317 s.; and 5 evening-schools for adults, with 86 s. The work house is in Britford.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Alderbury, a parish in the division of Salisbury and Amesbury, union of Alderbury, Wilts, containing the chapelries of Farley and Pitton, and the tything of Alderbury. It is about 3 miles south of Salisbury. Living, a discharged vicarage, a peculiar of the treasurer of Salisbury cathedral; gross income £1,561. Patron, in 1835, the earl of Radnor. Pop. of the parish, in 1831, 1,323. Houses 233. Acres 3,950. A. P. £3,502. The township of Alderbury stands on a hill, in a good sporting country, in the vicinity of the Salisbury and Southampton canal; and is intersected by the South western railway, and the proposed Hants and Wilts Union railway. A manufactory of fustians here gives employment to many of the inhabitants. Pop., in 1801, 430; in 1831, 690. Houses 101. Acres 2,100. A. P. £1,689. Poor rates, in 1837, £218.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alderbury, 3 miles S.E. Salisbury. P. 1440
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815
Alderbury, (Wilts.) a village pleasantly situated in a good sporting country near the Avon. Its air is very salubrious, and it carries on a considerable manufacture of fustians. Distant from Salisbury 3 miles. On the left is a turnpike road to Southampton by Ramsey, or Redbridge. Population, 448.
Source: Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815; Baldwin, Cradock & Joy.
Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807
Alderbury, (Wilts) a village pleasantly situated in a good sporting country near the Avon. Its air is very salubrious, and it carries on 9 considerable manufacture of fustians. Distant from Salisbury 3 m. 2 f. On the left is a turnpike. Road to Fordingbridge.
Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Alderbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Treasurer of Salisbury in the Prebendal of Calne
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Amesbury
- Poor Law Union: Alderbury
- Hundred: Alderbury
- Province: Canterbury