Aldbourne, Wiltshire Family History Guide

St Michael's parish church, Aldbourne, Wiltshire, seen from the south
St Michael’s parish church, Aldbourne, Wiltshire, seen from the south by Rob Stallard. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

Aldbourne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.

Other places in the parish include: the tythings of Preston, Lower Upham, and Upper Upham.

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Aldbourn, Aubourne

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1637
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607

Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Aldbourne

  • Liddington
  • Baydon
  • Chiseldon
  • Ogbourne St George
  • Wanborough
  • Ramsbury with Axford

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ALDBOURNE, a village and a parish in the district of Hungerford and county of Wilts. The village stands 7 miles NW of Hungerford r. station, and 9 SE of Swindon, and has a post office under Hungerford. It was formerly a market town; but it suffered great devastation by fire in 1760; and it has never recovered its old prosperity. Aldbourne Chase, adjacent to it on the N, was a favourite hunting-ground of King John; given by Henry VIII. to the Duke of Somerset; and the scene of the defeat of the Parliamentarians under the Earl of Essex, by the Royal forces under Prince Rupert; but is now enclosed and cultivated. The parish includes the tythings of Preston, Lower Upham, and Upper Upham. Acres, 8,495. Real property, £10,301. Pop., 1,539. Houses, 343. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £367. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is ancient; has Norman features and a brass; and is good. Part of the parsonage is supposed to be a remnant of the ancient royal hunting-seat. Remains of an ancient British encampment occur near a farmhouse called Pierce’s Lodge. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £43.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Aldbourne, or Aubourne, a parish in the division of Marlborough and Ramsbury, union of Hungerford, Wiltshire; 6 miles north-east of Marlborough, on the road to Lambourn. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Wilts and dio. of Salisbury; rated at £26 6s. 3d.; gross income £390. Patron, in 1835, the bishop of Salisbury. The church is a structure laying claim to considerable antiquity. Charities connected with this parish amount to £40. This was formerly a market-town and a place of considerable trade, but has of late years fallen into decay, partly in consequence of a fire in 1760, which destroyed 72 houses and other property, to the amount of £20,000. It anciently gave name to a royal chase granted by Henry VIII. to Edward Seymour, duke of Somerset, which is now enclosed and cultivated. Fustians were formerly manufactured here to a great extent, but at present this branch of trade is nearly extinct. Tuesday was the market-day; but for a long period both markets and fairs have been discontinued. Pop., in 1801, 1,280; in 1831, 1,418. Houses 336. Acres 8,060. A. P. £6,576. Poor rates, in 1837, £735 — In the neigh bourhood of this place the parliamentary forces and the royalists had a smart skirmish previously to the battle of Newbury. Part of the residence of the vicar is supposed to be the remains of a hunting-seat of John of Gaunt. Some remains of an ancient British encampment are to be seen near a farm-house called Pierce’s lodge. The surrounding country it rich and fertile.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aldbourne or Auborne, 73½ miles S.W. London. P. 1556.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Aldbourn, co. Wilts.

P. T. Marlborough (73) 6¼ m. NE. Pop. 1383. M. D. Tues.

A parish and town in the hundred of Selkeley; living, a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Wilts, and diocese of Salisbury; charged in K. B. 26l. 6s. 3d.; church ded. to St. Michael; patron, Bishop of Salisbury. It formerly possessed considerable trade, in which it has latterly been superseded by Hungerford. It is seated on a small stream, which runs into the Kennet.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Directories

Kelly’s Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorsetshire and the Isle of Wight 1889

Administration

  • County: Wiltshire
  • Civil Registration District: Hungerford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
  • Diocese: Salisbury
  • Rural Deanery: Marlborough
  • Poor Law Union: Hungerford
  • Hundred: Selkley
  • Province: Canterbury

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.