Erdington, Warwickshire Family History Guide

Erdington is a chapelry of Aston juxta Birmingham Ancient Parish in Warwickshire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1824

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Roman Catholic.

Parishes adjacent to Erdington

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ERDINGTON, a hamlet, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Aston parish, Warwick. The hamlet lies adjacent to Staffordshire, on the Birmingham and Sutton-Coldfield railway, near the Fazeley canal and the river Tame, 4¼ miles NE by E of Birmingham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Birmingham. Real property, £20, 465. Pop., 3, 906. Houses, 722. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to the Fitz Ausculphs; and passed to the Erdingtons. There are numerous villas and good modern dwellings. The chapelry is conterminate with the hamlet, and was constituted in 1858. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £200. Patron, the Vicar of Aston. The church is modern; and there are an Independent chapel, a Roman Catholic college for 200 students, with chapel and museum, two large orphan asylums, and a suite of alms-houses. -The sub-district includes five other hamlets, and Aston manor. Pop., 24, 447.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

Erdington Directory of Warwickshire 1850

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records

Administration

  • County: Warwickshire
  • Civil Registration District: Aston
  • Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Arden
  • Poor Law Union: Aston
  • Hundred: Hemlingford
  • Province: Canterbury

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.