Claverdon Warwickshire Family History Guide


St Michael and All Angels, Claverdon
St Michael and All Angels, Claverdon by Poliphilo. This file is made available under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication.

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Claverdon with Norton Lindsey

Other places in the parish include: Langley

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1593
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Claverdon

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CLAVERDON, a village and a parish in Stratford-on-Avon district, Warwick. The village stands adjacent to the Hatton and Stratford railway, near the Birmingham and Stratford canal, 6½ miles N by W of Stratford; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Warwick. The parish includes also the hamlet of Langley. Acres, 4,330. Real property, £5,912. Pop., 755. Houses, 167. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Norton Lindsey, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £265. Patron, the Archdeacon of Worcester. The church is good; and there are charities £83.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830

Claverdon, – a parish in Barlichway hundred, 4 ½ miles from Warwick, and 95 from London.  The sum raised by its parochial rates in 1803, was £562 8s 9d at 5s in the pound.  In 1811, the population was 400, in 1821, it contained 96 houses and 485 inhabitants. In 1826 it was valued at £4468, and its proportion to the county rate was £18 12s 4d.  it is a vicarage, value £5 12s 1d.  Patron the Archdeacon of Worcester. In the time of the Conqueror, it was in the possession of the Earl of Mellent, and in the 13th of Edward, in that of William de Beauchamp, in the 9th of Edward II it was assigned to Guy de Beauchamp, and continued with his descendants till Henry VII when it reverted to the crown, but was afterwards granted by Edward VI with Warwick Castle, to John Dudley, Earl of Warwick.  This village was afterwards distinguished as the seat of Thomas Speucer [sic], Esq. a branch of the family of the Spencers of Althorpe, in Northamptonshire, since ennobled by the title of Earl Spencer.  In a spacious mansion, erected by himself, this gentleman long resided, and “for the hospitality he kept it in,” says Dugdale, “was considered the mirror of the country.”  He died in 1580; and on the north side of the chancel, in the village church, is a stately monument erected to his memory.

Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Warwickshire
Civil Registration District: Stratford on Avon
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Worcester
Rural Deanery: Warwick
Poor Law Union: Stratford on Avon
Hundred: Barlinchway
Province: Canterbury



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.