Castle Bromwich is a chapelry of Aston juxta Birmingham Ancient Parish in Warwickshire.
Parish church: St. Mary and St. Margaret
Parish registers begin: 1619
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Castle Bromwich
- Aston juxta Birmingham
- Ward End
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BROMWICH (Castle), a chapelry in Aston parish, Warwick; on the Birmingham and Derby railway, adjacent to the Birmingham and Fazeley canal, 5½ miles ENE of Birmingham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Birmingham. Pop., 613. Houses, 129. Castle-Bromwich Hall is an old seat, and belongs to the Earl of Bradford. An ancient castle is supposed to have stood on an eminence, still called Castle hill. Traces of Roman entrenchments exist; and ancient weapons have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £315. Patron, the Earl of Bradford. There is a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Bromwich, Castle, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 5½ miles (E.) from Birmingham; containing 779 inhabitants. The place comprises 2702 acres, of which about two-thirds are arable land, of good quality, 388 with a pretty fair proportion of wood and plantations; the surface is undulated, and the scenery highly picturesque. The northern boundary of the chapelry is formed by the river Tame, by which a flour-mill, beautifully situated, is propelled: the Birmingham and Derby railway has a station here. Castle Bromwich Hall, the property of the Earl of Bradford, is an ancient and interesting mansion. The hamlet is seated on a gentle acclivity, and contains several well-built houses. The living is a donative, in the patronage of the Earl, with a net income of £315 per annum. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary and St. Margaret, is a neat brick structure, with a square tower, and has a handsome interior; it was erected, in 1729, by Sir John Bridgman, Bart., ancestor of the Earl of Bradford, and the circumstance is recorded on a tablet in the chapel. There is a boys’ school, endowed with land in the hamlet, producing about £35 per annum, in the hands of trustees, with a house and garden for the master; it is further aided by subscription; and there is also a girls’ school. In the Castle field is a mound, artificially constructed, and supposed to be of Roman origin.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Bromwich Castle, co. Warwick.
P. T. Coleshill (104) 4½ m. W b N. Pop. with Pa.
A hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Aston, in the Bonningham division of the hundred of Harlingford; living, a curacy and donative, not in charge, in the archdeaconry of Coventry and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry; chapel ded. to St. Mary and St. Margaret; patron (1829) the Earl of Bradford.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Aston
- Probate Court: Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Arden
- Poor Law Union: Aston
- Hundred: Hemlingford
- Province: Canterbury