Allesley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1562
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian and Wesleyan Methodist.
Allesley, Feb. 5, Mar. 5, June 18, Aug. 1, Sep. 5, Oct. 8, Dec. 12.
Parishes adjacent to Allesley
- Keresley with Coundon
- Coventry St John the Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALLESLEY, a parish in Meriden district, Warwick; near the Northwestern railway, 2 miles NW of Coventry. It has a post office under Coventry. Acres, 4,225. Real property, £9,979. Pop., 974. Houses, 207. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to E. V. Neale, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £749. Patron, the Rev. W. T. Bree. The church was restored and enlarged in 1864. There are an educational establishment called Allesley Park College, an endowed school for boys, a subscription school for girls, and charities £69.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Allesley, 2¼ miles N.W. Coventry. P. 963
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Allesley or Awesley Warwickshire Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Allesley, or Awesley (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Meriden, Kirkby division of the hundred of Knightlow, N division of the county of Warwick, 2 ½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Coventry; containing 963 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 4242 acres, in good cultivation; the surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, and the village is neatly built. Sandstone is quarried for rough building purposes. Fairs are held for cattle in February, March, June, August, September, October, and December. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £17. 18. 9.; patron and incumbent, Rev. W. T. Bree. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £786, and the glebe comprises nearly 40 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the early and later Norman styles, with modern additions in bad taste. There is a free school for boys, towards the support of which Mrs. Flint, in 1705, gave by deed a small portion of land, and a house for the residence of the master; and another school, for girls, is supported by subscription. Vestiges of an ancient castle are discernible in the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Allesley, a parish in the Monks Kirby division of the hund. of Knightlow, union of Meriden, county of Warwick; 2 miles north of Coventry, and 94 of London. Living, a rectory formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; rated at £17 18s. 9d.; gross income £780. Patron, in 1835, W. T. Bree. There is a free school here, to which a portion of land, and a house for the residence of the schoolmaster, were left in 1705 by Mrs Flint. The yearly revenue of this land amounted, in 1835, to £44 16s. The total income of other charities connected with this parish, amounts to £83 5s. 6d. Pop., in 1801, 752; in 1831, 875. Houses 176. Acres 3,950. A. P. £7,792. Poor rates, in 1837, £463.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Meriden
- Probate Court: Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Coventry
- Poor Law Union: Meriden
- Hundred: Knightlow
- Province: Canterbury