Shelton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1843 from Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire Ancient Parish.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
Parish registers: 1834
Bishop’s Transcripts: 1834
Nonconformists include: Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans of the Old and New Connexion.
Parishes adjacent to Shelton
- Stoke upon Trent
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
SHELTON, a township, a sub-district, and a parochial chapelry, in Stoke-upon-Trent parish and district, Stafford. The township lies on the North Staffordshire railway, and on the Trent and Mersey and the Caldon canals, ¾ of a mile N of Stoke; is included all in Stoke parliamentary borough, and mostly in Hanley municipal borough; contains Etruria and part of Cobridge; rose from a very poor condition in last century, and from a pop. of 5,487 in 1811 to a pop. of 18,331 in 1861, in connexion with the pottery, the coal, and the iron trades; comprises much of the town of Hanley; contains the seats of Stone Park, Cliffe Ville, and Etruria, the North Staffordshire infirmary, and numerous manufactories of porcelain and earthenware; shares in the postal and railway facilities of both Hanley and Stoke; and has a market-place, three churches, five dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a mechanics’ institute, a public library, and national and dissenting schools. The three churches are those of Shelton, Etruria, and Hope chapelries; and the first was built in 1834, at a cost of £9,311,—was repaired and enlarged in 1866, at a cost of more than £3,000, —and is in the early English style, with a tower 120 feet high. Real property, £58,319; of which £15,809 are in mines, £10 in quarries, £1,640 in iron-works, and £1,557 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 14,796; in 1861, 18,331. Houses, 3,649.—The sub-district is conterminate with the township.—The chapelry comprises only a section, and was constituted in 1843. Pop. in 1861, 8,617. Houses, 1,703. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £620. Patron, the Rev. J. H. Murray.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Stoke upon Trent
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Stoke upon Trent
- Poor Law Union: Stoke on Trent
- Hundred: North Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Brindley John, Shelton, Stoke-upon-Trent, earthenware manuf., Jan. 20, 1829.
Broadhurst John, Shelton, Staffordshire, carpenter & builder. May 1, 1838.
Butler William, Shelton, Stoke-upon-Trent, ironfounder, April 3, 1840.