Gnosall, Staffordshire Family History Guide



Gnosall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.

Alternative names: Gnosall with Knightley, Gnosall and Knightley

The parish is divided into the quarters of Gnosall, Cowley, Knightley, and Moreton; and includes the hamlets of Alstone, Befcote, Great Chatwell, Coton, Cowley, Moreton, Plardwick, and Wilbrighton, and parts of Apeton and Rule.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1572

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Gnosall

Historical Descriptions


Gnosall

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

GNOSALL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in the district of Newport and county of Stafford. The village stands on the river Rowley, adjacent to the Birmingham and Liverpool canal and to the Shrewsbury and Stafford railway, 6½ miles WSW of Stafford; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Stafford, and fairs on 7 May and 23 Sept. The parish is divided into the quarters of Gnosall, Cowley, Knightley, and Moreton; and includes the hamlets of Alstone, Befcote, Great Chatwell, Coton, Cowley, Moreton, Plardwick, and Wilbrighton, and parts of Apeton and Rule. Acres, 10,497. Real property, £17,154. Pop., 2,400. Houses, 515. A number of cottages have become dilapidated; and a decrease of pop. has taken place. The Newport workhouse was here, but has been removed to Newport. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the p. curacy of Knightley, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £175. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is partly Norman, partly of later dates; comprises a nave and two aisles, a chancel and cross aisle, with a central tower; and was once collegiate. The vicarage of Moreton is a separate benefice. There are a national school, and charities £173. The sub-district contains five parishes. Acres, 24,815. Pop., 4,969. Houses, 1,022.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Chatwell Great and Little

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Chatwell (Great and Little), two hamlets in Gnosall parish, Stafford; 8 ½ miles W of Penkridge.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Blackband Benjamin, Gnosall, Staffordshire, grocer, Dec. 20, 1825.

Blackband Gerrard, Gnosall, Staffordshire, grocer, Oct. 15, 1822.

Administration

  • County: Staffordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Newport
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Gnosall
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Eccleshall
  • Poor Law Union: Newport
  • Hundred: West Cuttlestone
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.