Cheadle Staffordshire Family History Guide


Cheadle is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Staffordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Above Park, Brookistone, Huntley, Cheadle Mill, and Cheadle Grange.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1567

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Cheadle

  • Forsbrook
  • Dilhorne
  • Kingsley
  • Freehay
  • Oakamoor
  • Cheddleton
  • Draycott le Moors

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

CHEADLE, a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Stafford. The town stands in a valley, environed by high hills, near the river Tean and the Uttoxeter canal, 3 miles W by S of Oakamoor r. station, and 9 ESE of Stoke-upon-Trent. It has a post-office under Stafford, a banking-office, three chief inns, a parish church, four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic church, a Free school, a national school, and a workhouse; and is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling-place. The parish church was built in 1837; is in the decorated English style; and has a fine stained glass eastern window. The Roman Catholic church was built in 1843-6, by the Earl of Shrewsbury, after designs by Pugin, at a cost of about £60,000; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chapels, with a fine western tower and spire, 200 feet high. Markets are held on Fridays; and fairs on 7 Jan., 25 March, Holy Thursday, 4 July, 21 Aug., and 18 Oct. Tape-making, malting, rope-making, and leather-dressing, are carried on. Pop., 3,191. Houses, 701. The parish includes also the hamlets of Freehay, Cheadle-Grange, Cheadle-Mill, Brookistone, Huntley, and part of Oakamoor. Acres, 6,701. Real property, £18,696; of which £1,872 are in mines. Pop., 4,803. Houses, 1,034. The property is much subdivided. Coal and iron-stone abound. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £438. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The p. curacies of Freehay and Oakamoor are separate benefices. Charities, £63.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records

Administration

  • County: Staffordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Cheadle
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Cheadle
  • Poor Law Union: Cheadle
  • Hundred: South Totmonslow
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.