Calton is a chapelry of Blore Ray Ancient Parish, Mayfield Ancient Parish, and Waterfall Ancient Parish in Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Calton in Blore.
Parish registers begin: 1760
Parishes adjacent to Calton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CALTON, three townships, a chapelry, and a subdistrict, in the district of Ashborne and county of Stafford. The townships are Calton-in-Mayfield, Calton-in-Blore, and Calton-in Waterfall; they lie in three several parishes, designated in their respective names; and they are contiguous to one another, at a point 2½ miles W of the river Dove, 4½ ENE of Froghall r. station, and 5½ NW by W of Ashborne. Acres of the three, 2,480. Real property, £1,911. Pop. of C.-in-M., 70; of C.-in-B., 72; of C.-in-W., 65. Houses of C.-in-M., 17; of C.-in-B., 17; of C.-in-W., 13. The chapelry includes also a detached part of Croxden parish; and its Post Town is Ashborne. The living is a donative in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £86. Patron, the Vicar of Mayfield. Fairs are held on 15 Aug. and 20 Sept. The subdistrict contains eight parishes, parts of three other parishes, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 17,689. Pop., 3,036. Houses, 618.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Alstonfield, Uttoxeter
- Poor Law Union: Ashbourne
- Hundred: North Totmonslow; South Totmonslow
- Province: Canterbury