West Felton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Alternative names: West Felton, Westfelton
Other places in the parish include: Tedsmore, Tedmore, Sutton, Sandford, Rednall, Haughton, Woolston, and Twyford.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1628
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630
Nonconformists include: Independent Methodist, Independent/Congregational, and Primitive Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to West Felton
- Ruyton of the Eleven Towns
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FELTON (West), a township and a parish in Oswestry district, Salop. The township lies on the river Perry, near the Ellesmere canal, 2 miles E of Rednall r. station, and 4¼ SE of Oswestry; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. The parish includes also the townships of Haughton, Rednall, Sandford, Sutton, Tedsmore, Twyford, and Woolston. Acres, 5,991. Real property, £11,446. Pop., 1,067. Houses, 218. The property is divided among a few. The Nursery is the seat of the Dovastons. St. Winifred’s well, in Woolston township, was formerly in high repute. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £1,023. Patron, the Rev. R. K. Haslehurst. The church is good; and there are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, and charities £26.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Oswestry
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ellesmere
Poor Law Union: Oswestry