Tong is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish registers begin: 1630
Parishes adjacent to Tong
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TONG, a parish, with a village, in Shiffnal district, Salop; 3 miles E of Shiffnal r. station. It has a post-office under Shiffnal. Acres, 3,464. Real property, £6,680. Pop., 532. Houses, 110. The manor, with T. Castle, belonged formerly to the Durants, and belongs now to the Earl of Bradford. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £83. Patron, the Earl of Bradford. The church was rebuilt in 1410, and then made collegiate. There are endowed schools with £50 a year, alms houses with £24, and other charities £100.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Tong Parish Registers 1629-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. IV (1903)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Family History Links
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Shifnal
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Shifnal
- Poor Law Union: Shifnal
- Hundred: Brimstree
- Province: Canterbury