Stoke St. Milborough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire. Heath is a chapelry of Stoke St. Milborough.
Other places in the parish include: Clee Downton, Clee Stanton.
Parish church: St Milburgha
Parish registers begin: 1654
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Stoke St Milborough
- Cold Weston
- Hopton Cangeford
- Clee St Margaret
Historical Descriptions of Stoke St. Milborough
Stoke St Milborough
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870
Stoke-St. Milborough, a parish, comprising S.-St. M. and Heath townships, in Ludlow district, Salop; 6¼ miles NE of Ludlow r. station. Post town, Ludlow. Acres, 5,750. Real property, £5,362. Pop., 573. Houses, 119. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, with Heath chapelry, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £474. Patrons, the Representatives of the late Rev. G. Morgan. The church was recently restored. There are a chapel of ease at Heatb, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851
Stoke, a parish in the hund. of Wenlock, union of Ludlow, county of Salop; 6 miles north-east of Ludlow. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £6 13s. 4d.; gross income £495. Patron, in 1841, the Rev. George Morgan. Acres 6,110. Houses 99. A.P. £3,905. Pop., in 1801, 471; in 1831, 597. Poor rates, in 1838, £314 7s
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Stoke, co. Salop.
P. T. Ludlow (142) 7 m. NE. Pop. 394.
A parish in the hundred of Wenlock; living, a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Hereford; valued in K. B. 6l. 13s. 4d.; church ded. to St. Milburgh; patron (1829) the Rev. George Morgan.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Clee Stanton and Clee Downton
GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824
Clee Stanton, and Clee Downton. A township in the parish of Stoke St. Milborough, and in the franchise of Wenlock. Clee Stanton is 4 ½ miles north-east, and Clee Downton 5 ½ miles north-east of Ludlow
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Stoke St. Milborough Parish Registers
Family History Links
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Ludlow
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Ludlow
- Poor Law Union: Ludlow
- Hundred: Munslow
- Province: Canterbury