Oldbury Shropshire Family History Guide



St Nicholas' parish church, Oldbury, Shropshire, seen from the south
St Nicholas’ parish church, Oldbury, Shropshire, seen from the south. John M / St Nicholas, Oldbury / CC BY-SA 2.0

Oldbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Parish church: St Nicholas

Parish registers begin: 1582

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Parishes adjacent to Oldbury

Historical Descriptions


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

OLDBURY, a village and a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop. The village stands near the river Severn and the Severn Valley railway, 1 mile SSW of Bridgnorth; and has a post-office under Bridgnorth. The parish comprises 808 acres. Pop. in 1851, 131; in 1861, 207. Houses, 41. The increase of pop. arose from the operations of a Freehold Land society. Traces exist of an encampment from which the parliamentarian army, in the civil wars of Charles I., bombarded Bridgnorth Castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £254. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and has a bell turret.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Oldbury. A parish in the Chelmarsh, or Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Stottesden, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 18 houses, 110 inhabitants. ¾ mile south-west of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Oldbury, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865

Parish Registers

Oldbury Parish Registers 1582-1812

Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XVI (1915)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; W. G. D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Oldbury Parish Registers 1582-1812 – Archive.org

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Stottesdon
  • Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
  • Hundred: Stottesdon
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.