Much Wenlock, Shropshire Family History

Much Wenlock is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Burton, Callaughton, Farley, Farley, Wyke and Bradley, Harley, Wyke and Bradley, Presthope, Walton, Wenlock without Much, Wigwig and Homer, and Harley, Wigwig and Homer.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1558

Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Much Wenlock

Historical Descriptions

Much Wenlock

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WENLOCK (Much), a town, a parish, and a borough, in Salop The town stands on the Buildwas and Craven-Arms railway, underthe NE end of Wenlock Edge, 11 miles SE of Shrewsbury; dates from the ancient British times; was anciently called Llan-Meilain, signifying “St. Milburg’s church;” acquired importance from a monastery, founded in 680, by Milburga, daughter of King Merwald; suffered severely from the inroads of the Danes; became a borough, sending two members to parliament, in the time of Edward IV.; gives the title of Baron to the family of Lawley; is a seat of sessions and a polling place; consists chiefly of two streets, crossing at right angles; and has a post-office‡ under Wellington, Salop, a r. station, a banking office, an ancient guildhall, restored in 1848, a corn exchange of 1852, with agricultural library and reading room, an ancient church, partly Norman and recently enlarged, two dissenting chapels, a public library, an endowed school with £14 a year, alms houses, some other charities, a weekly market on Monday, and five annual fairs. The ancient monastery was destroyed by the Danes; and was refounded, as a Cluniac abbey, in 1080, by Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Shrewsbury. The abbey gave rise, in 1164, to Paisley abbey, founded by the first Stuart; went, at the dissolution, to the Berties; passed to the Gages and the Wynnes; was a noble cruciform edifice, measuring 401 feet from E to W, and 166 feet along the transept; included a Lady chapel of the 15th century 48 feet long, and a chapter-house 60 feet by 30; and is now represented by extensive ruins, comprising large parts of the main body of the church, parts of the Lady chapel, the chapter-house, and the cloisters, and the prior’s lodge and gate. An ancient hospital of St. John also was here. The parish comprises 8,846 acres, and is a sub-district of Madeley district. Real property, £13,956: of which £441 are in quarries, and £40 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,398; in 1861, 2,494. Houses, 509. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £180. Patron, J. M. Gaskell, Esq. The borough includes 12 parishes and a part municipally, and 17 and a part parliamentarily; is governed by a mayor, 6 aldermen, and 18 councillors; and sends two members to parliament. Corporation revenue, about £560. Electors in 1833, 691; in 1863, 1,011. Pop. of the m. borough in 1851, 18,728; in 1861, 19,699. Houses, 4,000. Pop. of the p. borough in 1851, 20,588; in 1861, 21,590. Houses, 4,369.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Much Wenlock. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 481 houses, 2,200 inhabitants. 12 miles south-east of Shrewsbury. 148 miles north-west of London. LONG 2, 39w. LAT. 52, 37½ N.

The town is ill built, consisting only of two streets, but is a very ancient corporation, and is said to have been the first town that sent members to parliament, by a writ from Edward the Fourth in 1478, when it sent one member; but now, together with Broseley and Little Wenlock, it returns two. The free burgesses, who are the electors, amount to one hundred and ten.

The corporation, by charter from Charles the first, consists of a bailiff, recorder, two justices of the peace, and twelve capital burgesses.

Wenlock gives name to a deanery, and to that part of the hundred, which in Doomsday Book is called Patinterne Hundred. The British name is Llan Meilein, or St. Milburg’s church. In the reign of Richard the second, this place was as famous for copper mines, as it is at present for quarries of lime-stone. Leland describes it as ‘a market towne where was an abbey of blak monkes, passing over an high hille called Wenlock Edge.’ But Wenlock owes its celebrity principally to the remains of an ancient Abbey, subsequently converted to a Monastery for Cluniacs.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Burton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Burton. A township and curacy in the parish of Much Wenlock, in the franchise of Wenlock, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 2 ¼ miles south-west of Wenlock.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Callaughton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Callaughton. A township in the parish of Much Wenlock, and in the franchise of Wenlock. 1 ½ miles south of Wenlock.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Presthope

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Presthope. A township in the franchise of Wenlock.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Madeley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Wenlock
  • Poor Law Union: Madeley
  • Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough
  • Province: Canterbury

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.