Lilleshall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Honnington.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1675
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Particular Baptist, and Primitive Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Lilleshall
- Church Aston
- Preston upon the Weald Moors
- Priors Lee
- Wrockwardine Wood
- Donington Wood
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LILLESHALL, a parish in Newport district, Salop; on the Donington-Wood branch of the Shrewsbury canal, and on the Shropshire Union railway, round Domination r. station, and near the boundary with Staffordshire, 3 miles SSW of Newport. It contains the townships of Muxton and Donington, the latter of which has a post office under Newport, Salop; and it includes the chapelries of Donington-Wood-St. Matthew and DoningtonWood-St. George. Acres, 6,140. Real property, £42,843; of which £14,600 are in mines, and £10,000 in ironworks. Pop. in 1851, 3,987; in 1861, 3,746. Houses, 691. The property is divided among a few. The manor and most of the land belong to the Duke of Sutherland. Lilleshall House, a seat of the Duke, is a white freestone edifice; and stands on a rising-ground, commanding a very extensive view. An Augustinian abbey was founded, about a mile from the parish church, about the year 1145, by Richard de Belmeis; had, at the dissolution, an endowed income of £327; was then given to James Leveson, ancestor of the Duke of Sutherland; and has left considerable ruins, including parts of the church 228 feet long, with Norman doorways and later English E window. Coal is extensively worked. The head living is a vicarage, and the livings of St. Matthew and St. George are p. curacies, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of the vicarage, £350; of St. M., £200; of St. G., £205. Patron of all the three, the Duke of Sutherland. The parochial church is ancient and Very good; has a tower; and contains effigies of Sir Richard and Lady Catherine Leveson, of date 1661 and 1674, and other monuments. There are national schools for both sexes.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Lilleshall. A parish in the Newport division of the hundred of Bradford, South, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 519 houses, 3,143 inhabitants. 3 miles south-west of Newport. Near the village of Lilleshall, in a solitary, and retired situation, and partly surrounded with wood, may be seen the ruins of Lilleshall abbey. A considerable part of the church which was attached to the abbey, remains. The great entrance on the west is a fine Norman arch, richly recessed with ribs, and running foliage. Of the church, the doors and windows are all that remain, the pillars and arches of the nave and transept having been entirely destroyed; but from that portion which has escaped the ravages of time, some idea may be formed of the original architecture. The south door, by which a communication was formed with the cloister, is, doubtless, one of the most highly ornamented Norman arches in the kingdom. A semicircular arch, overspread with ornaments peculiar to the Saxon and earliest Norman buildings, is supported by clusters of slender shafts, some of which are spiral, and others covered with lozenge work, having the intermediate spaces embellished with mouldings. The north and south windows of the choir are narrow, plain, and round headed, but the east window is large, and has a beautiful pointed arch of the architecture of the fourteenth century, within which are some remains of tracery. The area of the cloister which has been converted into a farm yard, adjoins the south side of the nave. A fine Norman arch which formed the entrance of the chapter house was lately standing, and some scattered portions of other apartments remain. The boundary wall of the precinct may be traced to a considerable distance from the abbey. The church, which was cruciform, and probably had two towers, one in the centre, and the other at the west end, measured in length 228 feet, – the breadth of the nave 36 feet. The stalls of the choir, were at the dissolution removed to the collegiate church of Wolverhampton, where they in part remain. The abbey and its estate are now the property of the Marquess of Stafford.
The revenues of Lilleshall abbey at the time of the dissolution, in the reign of Henry the eighth, were rated by the commissioners at £229 3s. 1 ½d.; about £2,260 of our money.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Newport
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Newport
Poor Law Union: Newport
Hundred: South Bradford