Hopesay, Shropshire Family History Guide


Hopesay is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Sibton Carwood, Little Brompton, Little Brampton, Carwood, Broom and Rowton, Barlow, and Aston.

Status:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1678
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660

Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Primitive Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Hopesay

Historical Descriptions

Hopesay

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HOPESAY, a village and a parish in Clun district, Salop. The village stands near the river Clun, 4 miles W by N of Craven-Arms r. station, and 5½ SE of Bishops Castle. The parish contains also the township of Aston, with the head post office of Aston-on-Clun; likewise the townships of Barlow, Little Brampton, Carwood, and part of Broom and Rowton. Acres, 4,060. Real property, £9,361. Pop., 676. Houses, 142. The manor belongs to the Earl of Powis. There are vestiges of a Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £603. Patron, Rev. P. B. Adams. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There are a national school, and charities £15.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Hope-Say, a parish in Purslow hund., union of Clun, Shropshire; 5½ miles south-east by east of Bishop’s-Castle, on the river Clun. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £16 12s. 6d.; gross income £628. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. J. Hardinge. Here is a daily school, endowed with £2 10s. per annum. Other charities, in 1820, £12 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £342 6s. Acres 3,010. Houses 121. A. P. £3,548. Pop., in 1801, 469; in 1831, 571.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hopesay Barlow &c. A parish in the Stow division of the hundred of Purslow, a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Clun, and archdeaconry of Salop. 100 houses, 612 inhabitants. 5 ½ miles south-east of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Aston

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Aston. A township in the parish of Hopesay, and in the Stow division of the hundred of Purslow. 8 miles south-east of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Hopesay Shropshire Poll Book 1865

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Shropshire
Civil Registration District: Clun
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Hereford
Rural Deanery: Clun
Poor Law Union: Clun
Hundred: Purslow
Province: Canterbury



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.