Dorrington is an ecclesiastical parish, six and a half miles south from Shrewsbury, and six and a half north from Church Stretton, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Condover, union of Atcham, and diocese of Lichfield. St. Edward’s church was erected in the year 1845, in the Early English style. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £127, with residence, and 4 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Thomas Henry Hope Edwardes, Esq. Here is a school for boys and girls, supported by Mrs. Hope Edwardes, and a school in connection with the Independent chapel. The charities are £10 yearly value, given in bread to the poor. Cattle fairs are held here in February, April, June, August, October, and December. Reginald Cholmondeley, Esq., is lord of the manor; and Thomas Henry Hope Edwardes, Esq., J.P., and Mrs. Hayward are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, clay. The area is 545 acres; and the population in 1861 was 355.
Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 5 30 a.m.; dispatched at 8 p.m.
Hayward Mrs., Walford house
Hazeldine John Rowland Lovell, esq.
Roberts Rev. Lewis
Stubbs Capt. Francis Arthur
White Rev. Thomas Pritchard, M.A.
Cloud George, grocer and draper
Cloud Samuel, boarding and day school
Dales George, saddler
Davis Evan, wheelwright
Davis Richard, tailor
Davis William, shoe maker
Dayus Charles, veterinary surgeon
Galliers Thomas, maltster
Glover John, surgeon
Glover Richard, blacksmith
Griffiths William, butcher
Hassall William tailor
Hughes and Robi[?]son plumbers &c.
Jones Richard, builder and contractor
Lloyd Anne Sophia, Railway Inn
Marsh John, butcher
Morris William, shoe maker
Pettit Fredrick, cooper
Pritchard William, nurseryman
Puzey Frederick, draper and grocer
Thomas William, Greyhound Inn, and maltster
Wall Richard, Horseshoes Inn
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871