Cound Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871


Cound is a parish and village, 6 miles from Shrewsbury, and 6 north-west from Much Wenlock, in the Southern division of the county, Cound division of Condover hundred, union of Atcham, and diocese of Lichfield.  Berrington and Cressage are the nearest railway stations, equi-distant about 2 ¼ miles.  The church of St. Peter is an ancient structure, consisting of nave, chancel, and aisles, with square tower containing 6 bells.  The living is a rectory, yearly value £600, in the gift of the Rev. Henry Thursby Pelham.  The Rev. Henry Thursby Pelham is lord of the manor and principal landowner.  The soil is sand and gravel; subsoil, sand.  The area of the township is 3,664 acres, and the population in 1861 was 552; gross estimated rental, £5,908; rateable value, £5,526.

Letters arrive by messenger from Shrewsbury at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.

Dawes Capt. Edward A., Harnage house
Pelham Rev. Augustus Thursby, M.A., The Rectory
Pelham Rev. Henry Thursby, Cound hall
Wingfield Capt. Arthur, Cound villa
Alsop George, farmer, Highlands
Baker William, shopkeeper, Cound moor
Careless Richard, tailor, Stank
Farmer John C., farmer, Leasowes
Frank Thomas, farmer and miller, Cound arbour
Granger Edward, farmer, Moorton
Griffiths Harriett, shopkeeper, Harnage
Hall John, Lodge Inn and farmer
Hill Charles, farmer, Upper Cound
Horton Thos., farmer, Harnage grange
Instone Henry, farmer, Upper Cound
Linell Mary Ann, farmer, Lower Cound
Medlicott Edward, farmer, Harnage grange
Millichope William, farmer, Harnage
Newton John, farmer, Golding hall
Owen Thomas, wheelwright, Harnage
Price John, farmer, Upper Cound
Price Joseph, carpenter
Roberts Humphrey, blacksmith, Venus bank
Smith Henry, farmer, Harnage
Woodcock Daniel, farmer, Mosterley
Woodcock Richard, farmer, Harnage

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.