Coreley is a parish and village, 15 miles from Kidderminster 5 from Tenbury, and 4 from Cleobury Mortimer, in the Southern division of the county, Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, union of Cleobury Mortimer, and diocese of Hereford. Coreley was one of those manors which, after the battle of Evesham, Mortimer annexed his honour of Cleobury. The church of St. Peter is a brick building. The living is a rectory, yearly value £268, with residence and 65 acres of glebe land, in the gift of John Burnett Stuart. A school for children of both sexes is supported by subscription and the children’s pence. In this parish are extensive coal pits, and there is also ironstone. The Earl of Craven is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is stiff clay and gravel; subsoil, clay, rock, and coal. The charities amount to £24. The chief crops are wheat. The area is 2,173 acres, and the population in 1861 was 515; gross estimated rental, £2,076; rateable value, £1,896.
Letters are received through Tenbury.
Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages, William Rose.
Miles Rev. Lomas, M.A.
Adams George, farmer, New barns
Adams William, farmer, Hince
Bassett John, farmer, Church Stiles
Bishop William, blacksmith
Boden William, shoe maker
Breakwell James, farmer
Brown Samuel, wheelwright
Clayton Joseph, farmer
Davies William, farmer, Woodrow
Edwards Mary, shopkeeper
Edwards Richard, carrier
George John, farmer, Brook row
Hammond Benjamin, shoe maker
Honeybourn William, Poplars Inn
Jefferies Jeremiah, farmer
Morris Benjamin, farm bailiff
Mytton Edward, farmer
Newell Frederick, carpenter, and assistant overseer
Pearson William, coal owner
Thomas Edmund, Collier’s Arms
Webb John, shoe maker
Yapp Edwin, farmer
Yapp James, farmer
Yapp William, farmer and landowner
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871