Battlefield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Huffley.
Parish registers begin: 1665
Parishes adjacent to Battlefield
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BATTLEFIELD, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Atcham, Salop. The parish lies adjacent to the Crewe and Shrewsbury railway, 1½ mile S by E of Hadnall station, and 3 NNE of Shrewsbury. Post Town, Hadnall under Shrewsbury. Acres, 850. Rated property, £939. Pop., 81. Houses, 17. The property is divided among a few. Here was fought the battle in 403, in which Harry Hotspur was slain, and Douglas captured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £233. Patron,-A. W. Corbet, Esq The church was erected by Henry IV. to commemorate his victory over Hotspur; is chiefly perpendicular English; and was restored in 1861. A fair is held on 2 Aug. The subdistrict comprises five parishes, two chapelries, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 11,554. Pop., 1,881. Houses, 395.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Battlesfield, 3 m. N.N.E. Shrewsbury. P. 64
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Battlefield. A parish in the liberties of Shrewsbury, a curacy, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 13 houses, 64 inhabitants. 3 miles north-east by north of Shrewsbury. Fair, August 2, for horned cattle and sheep. See appendix.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
The History and Topography of Shropshire 1820
Q. What is Battleﬁeld?
A. Battleﬁeld, about four miles north of Shrewsbury, is the scene of the great battle between Henry IV. and Henry Percy, son to the Earl of Northumberland. Victory declaring for the King, in consequence of the death of Percy, he erected a church on the spot in testimony of his gratitude, but it is now in a ruinous condition. Under a tumulus near the churchyard, the slain in that memorable engagement lie buried.
Q. Describe Haughmond Abbey.
A. Haughmond Abbey is a picturesque ruin, a little to the east of Battleﬁeld. It was formerly a religious house for regular canons of St. Augustine, founded in the year 1100, by William Fitz-Alan. Situated on a rising ground, and backed by an extensive forest, these ruins form an interesting object. The south door of the nave of the abbey church, the chapter house, the refectory, and a spacious hall, are the only parts of the ediﬁce that are not wholly decayed.
Source: The History and Topography of Shropshire; William Pinnock Jolibois; 1820.
Battlefield Parish Registers
The registers of Battlefield, Shropshire
The registers of Battlefield, Shropshire. 1665-1812
Published 1899 by Priv print. for the Shropshire Parish Register Society in London .
The Registers of Battlefield, Shropshire. 1665-1812 – Archive.org
Family History Links
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Atcham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Shrewsbury
- Poor Law Union: Atcham
- Hundred: Albrighton Division
- Province: Canterbury