Ash Magna and Ash Parva – Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871


Ash Magna and Ash Parva are townships, in the parish of Whitchurch, forming an ecclesiastical district, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of North Bradford, union and county court district of Whitchurch, rural deanery of Whitchurch, archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield.
Ash Magna is 188 miles from London, 2 ½ south-east from Whitchurch railway station, and 15 from Crewe, situated on the road from Whitchurch to Market Drayton.  The church of Our Saviour is a neat brick and stone building, with square tower; it was erected in 1836, principally by subscription.  The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the rector of Whitchurch, of the yearly value of £80, arising from glebe land and money endowments.  There is a National school, supported by subscriptions, at which about 90 children are educated.  The Hon. R. C. Cotton, who is lord of the manor, and John Hazledine, Esq., are the principal landowners.  The soil, gravel and clay; subsoil, gravel.  The area is 626a. 3r. 14p., and the population in 1861 was 181.  The scenery is beautifully diversified, and the high grounds command prospects of unbounded extent.
Ash Parva is 2 ½ miles on the road from Whitchurch to Market Drayton.  The principal landowners are Viscount Hill, W. C. Radford-Norcop, Esq., and Samuel Yates Bennion, Esq.  The land is picturesque; soil various.  The area is 2,379a. 1r., and the population in 1861 was 179.
Letters through Whitchurch arrive at 7 30 a.m.; dispatched at 6 10 p.m.
National School, George Jones, master; Mrs. Jane Jones, mistress.

Ash Magna.
Price Rev. Henry Hugh, M.A., Vicarage
Ravenshaw Henry, esq., Ash hall
Tudman Edward, esq., Ash grove
Cliff John, beer retailer & blacksmith
Darlington Joseph, farmer
Derricutt John, White Lion
Moreton Ann, shopkeeper
Pursell John and Son, wheelwrights
Ravenshaw John, farmer, Ash hall
Shuker Peter, blacksmith
Wynne Mrs., farmer

Ash Parva.
Nield Mrs., Ash house
Blackshaw James, farmer
Blake George, farmer
Clay Charles, farmer
Darlington Thomas, farmer, Twemlowes hall
Davies John, farmer, Ash wood
Hughes Henry, farmer, Ashwood
Nield William, farmer
Ravenscroft George, farmer, Ash acre
Ravenshaw John, farmer
Topham Thomas, farmer, Twemlowes
Venables Samuel, farmer, Lower Kempley

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.