Alkington is a township in the northern part of the parish of Whitchurch, 2 miles south-west from the town, in Whitchurch county court district. Earl Brownlow and George Downward, Esq., are the chief landowners. Earl Brownlow is lord of the manor. It is a gravelly soil. The area is 1,144a. 1r. 7p.; rateable value, £1,240 16s.; and the population in 1861 was 154.
Bennion Randle, farmer
Bennison James, farmer, Spring hill
Billington John, farmer
Griffiths John, farmer
Hinton John, farmer, Heath lane
Hockenhull William, farmer
Holland John, farmer
Jones John, farmer
Keay John, beer retailer
Lee James, farmer, Dernford hall
Manley James, pump maker, Heath la
Newling Henry, jun. farmer
Oliver Stephen, blacksmith
Wilson Thomas, farmer, Alkington hall
Letters through Whitchurch, which is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.